When will DVD production stop?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm guessing that BluRay is now the mainstream and has now surpassed DVD in sales. I don't where 4K falls into this realm. That being said, when will DVD production stop?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
When we stop buying them!

I think everyone on this forum should commit to buying at least a few discs every year!. Streaming does not offer anywhere near the quality of a disc (80-100 GB BluRay vs 4-10GB Netflix 'equivalent').

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not having read your post, I opened another thread with the same info but coming from Forbes
I wish every BD and UHD would use the entire TV screen with no bars. The streaming apps always use the entire screen. :)

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Agree. It's a very small % of physical formats being sold, if one accepts RIAA figures.

https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/RIAA-Mid-Year-2018-Revenue-Report.pdf

I don't think CDs will go away any time soon, but the availability of titles is shrinking. Best to buy up the good pressings of favourites just to be sure!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
When we stop buying them!
And I don't think people are going to stop buying them for some years. You'd be surprised by how many people I've met that still buy DVDs. They also don't have 5.1s either or probably even know what 5.1 means for that matter. I always thinking it's kind of funny when my grandmother gives me a DVD for Christmas rather than a Blu-Ray. I also might add that her VSH player is still running strong after some 25+ years and one or two repairs along the way. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
And I don't think people are going to stop buying them for some years. You'd be surprised by how many people I've met that still buy DVDs. They also don't have 5.1s either or probably even know what 5.1 means for that matter. I always thinking it's kind of funny when my grandmother gives me a DVD for Christmas rather than a Blu-Ray. I also might add that her VSH player is still running strong after some 25+ years and one or two repairs along the way. :D
Well DVDs look pretty good upscaled on 1080p TVs, especially the plasmas. I have noticed they don’t look too good on 4K sets, although regular Blu-rays do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think disc sales are in trouble. DVDs are still have the biggest share of the AV disc market at 60% with BD sales at only 35% and 4K HD disc sales only 5% of the market.

I think this is not helped by onerous DRM issues for 4K. The compatibility problems surfacing with HDCP 2.0 and 2.2 are a big issue. HDCP 2.3 is here now.
I understand licensing is now very expensive. With disc sales declining that makes it tough for manufacturers to be encouraged to bring players to market. I suspect that is why OPPO have made an exit. This seems to be the whole reason for the Samsung exit. Sony seem to have complaints about connectivity with their 4 K units.
It remains to be seen whether the Panasonic player will get traction.

I personally feel that going from 4 to 2K was not necessary and should not have been done. I think it will reap an grimmer and grimmer harvest.

Meanwhile CDs head towards niche status.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I think disc sales are in trouble. DVDs are still have the biggest share of the AV disc market at 60% with BD sales at only 35% and 4K HD disc sales only 5% of the market.

I think this is not helped by onerous DRM issues for 4K. The compatibility problems surfacing with HDCP 2.0 and 2.2 are a big issue. HDCP 2.3 is here now.
I understand licensing is now very expensive. With disc sales declining that makes it tough for manufacturers to be encouraged to bring players to market. I suspect that is why OPPO have made an exit. This seems to be the whole reason for the Samsung exit. Sony seem to have complaints about connectivity with their 4 K units.
It remains to be seen whether the Panasonic player will get traction.

I personally feel that going from 4 to 2K was not necessary and should not have been done. I think it will reap an grimmer and grimmer harvest.

Meanwhile CDs head towards niche status.
Agree. As much as we may go elsewhere for our music, Walmart's and other big box stores phasing out CDs was a big blow to the format.

Independent record stores are losing sales to streaming, so they lack the working capital to maintain and replenish standing stock. It's getting so bad that used CD stores in my area have better variety, which suggests that owners are dumping the format altogether (so I'm raiding that stock before anyone else does, the closest thing I will get to becoming a hoarder).

So while CDs still out sell vinyl by 10:1, they are heading to the same niche status. When that occurs, prices will rise or co tent will become NLA.

I find it a little troubling. Not because I like shiny discs. Not because the fidelity of the format is very good. It's because CDs may well be the last form of unfettered physical ownership of music -- one that lets a person enjoy their music without a broadband connection, tracking, or DRM to restrict how you may lawfully use it.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It's because CDs may well be the last form of unfettered physical ownership of music -- one that lets a person enjoy their music without a broadband connection, tracking, or DRM to restrict how you may lawfully use it.
So what're you doing later, wanna go garb a cup of coffee or something?;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think the audio cassette and video cassette were fun formats. We could record whatever we wanted and own it. Be kind rewind. :)

And btw, we need our old 200 lbs TVs back too. LOL :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis