What's wrong with the sound?

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I would like to convert some of the songs on my LPs to computer files in order to put them on CD.
I am using the INPORT analog to digital converter, and I am able to create the files just fine, but the input volume is very low even when set at maximum.
The LPs are very old, early stereo, and date from the 60s through the 70s.
Is this something I have to live with, or is there something I can do to boost the input volume?
I don't have a Line Out on my receiver so I connected the cable to the Pre Out Front jacks on my receiver, a Yamaha RXV750. Is there an alternative connection I could use?
Any advice or helpful hints would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Turntables offer only a very low output. A pre-pre-amp (phono stage) is necessary to boost their volume. If you don't have one in your receiver, it's necessary to get an external one. I believe they can be had pretty cheap - see Radio Shack.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I recall reading an article on the inport recently; maybe at tom's hardware guide. If the inport does not have a built in phone pre-amp, you would need to get one. You also need to set the recording levels - either in the inport or using the mixer applet for your sound card. It's usually best to keep the input level around -3dB; any hotter and you risk clipping the input unless you listen to the entire thing and make sure it never clips before you start the actual recording.

Another alternative to using inport and buying a phono pre-amp is to buy an inexpensive ($100) turntable with a built-in phono preamp.

If you can't get an adequate level you can increase the volume of the recorded tracks after they are recorded using an audio editor. A good wave editor is necessary if you are going to do alot of recording of LPs. In addition to increasing volume (normalize or dynamic compression) you may want to apply a noise gate to remove very low level hiss, fade-in at the beginning of the track, and fade-out at the end, etc.

I use SoundForge (now owned by Sony). You really only need the 'Studio' version, which is about $70. There are a few free tools available on the web as well - like Goldwave. Even Nero has a rudimentary wave editor built-in that may be sufficient for your use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis