WHATS MY SUBWOOFER WORTH?

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I have to two Aperion Bravus 10D subs that I want to sell. They are two years old and in like new condition. I have the original boxes and the manual. They are selling for $599 new. Any thoughts?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if this would be helpful to you, but I generally not interested at all at buying used products, unless they are priced at 1/2 price or less. Besides depreciation of value there issues of wear, in most cases lack of original warranty and no free shipping.
Bravus 10d is nice enough sub, but absolutely gets destroyed perfomance wise by both SVS PB1000 and HSU vtf-1 mk2 and both cost less.

I recommend you to sell them locally if possible. Imo: Price them between 300 and 350 each and see how it goes. They still could be good supplement for a PC based 2.1 music system, but I think too small and underpowered to be used in HT system

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Aperion does offer a transferable 10 year warranty on their cabinets and drivers. Not sure if that will help me out much. I want to replace them with two HSU VTF-15H MK2.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Aperion does offer a transferable 10 year warranty on their cabinets and drivers. Not sure if that will help me out much. I want to replace them with two HSU VTF-15H MK2.
Many companies require a receipt to honor warranties. Transferrable or not, they may ask for it. Do you have them?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Aperion does offer a transferable 10 year warranty on their cabinets and drivers. Not sure if that will help me out much.
Like it's already mentioned above - everything helps. Make sure to point that in your sale ad and have original purchase receipt ready for new owners. I said, most don't have transferable warranty, companies like Aperion, SVS are members of a very small club.

I want to replace them with two HSU VTF-15H MK2.
To say that it would a massive improvement would HUGE understatement.
Even with pair of VTF3-MK5 - they take a bit less space and don't lose much performance compared to bigger brother.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have to two Aperion Bravus 10D subs that I want to sell. They are two years old and in like new condition. I have the original boxes and the manual. They are selling for $599 new. Any thoughts?
Assuming they're in great shape, approximately $250-300 each. You might try selling them as a pair for $500-600 to save on shipping cost.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure if this would be helpful to you, but I generally not interested at all at buying used products, unless they are priced at 1/2 price or less. Besides depreciation of value there issues of wear, in most cases lack of original warranty and no free shipping.
Bravus 10d is nice enough sub, but absolutely gets destroyed perfomance wise by both SVS PB1000 and HSU vtf-1 mk2 and both cost less.

I recommend you to sell them locally if possible. Imo: Price them between 300 and 350 each and see how it goes. They still could be good supplement for a PC based 2.1 music system, but I think too small and underpowered to be used in HT system

Not sure of the rule of thumb for subwoofers, but I have never sold any of my used speakers for 50% or lower. I sold my Paradigm 100s on Audiogon for 2400, I paid 2900 they were 2 years old. I sold my CC690v4 that was 4 years old for 1050, I paid 1200.

My point being, is I would always check sites like www.audiogon.com, ebay, even craigslist to get and idea of what people are selling them for. With ebay you can see a past history by checking completed auctions. I have sold a lot of my old stuff through these sites and have found that speakers usually tend to hold their value better than AV electronics. Items that are much less rare to show up on these sites are the center channels and surrounds, which tend to go for a lot more than the 50%, in my case closer to retail. (with my discount when I purchased them)

Older than 4-5 years then usually the 50% might be a good starting point, though I did managed to sell my Paradigm Studio 60v3s for 850 after 6 years of ownership and I paid 1400. More popular brands can be hit or miss, I wouldn't default to 50% or less unless you do your research first. Take in account if you bought them at a discount when you got them as well. I got 25% off from my dealer, so that is usually better than most people get who are 1st time buyers.

I also keep all my boxes, packing materials and a copy of the receipts, which does go a long way in adding a little value to the selling price, not to mention, non smoking house, pristine with 0 cosmetic flaws.

I would avoid selling on ebay if possible, you will get hit with about 15% if fees with paypal

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
@Cos Certain products hold their value better than others. Paradigm Studio series speakers hold their value because they are a known quantity and their reputation proceeds them. Other product lines don't hold their value as well, it really depends. Percentage of perceived value loss is lower on Studio series than most speakers anywhere.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not to mention Subwoofers have active electronics, which is typically of average reliability and it is pretty common for sub amp to get broken from normal use. This does affect resell value.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
@Cos Certain products hold their value better than others. Paradigm Studio series speakers hold their value because they are a known quantity and their reputation proceeds them. Other product lines don't hold their value as well, it really depends. Percentage of perceived value loss is lower on Studio series than most speakers anywhere.
Completely agree, which it was why it was in the first sentence of my reply about subwoofers. A quick glance on ebay the sub has sold for 300. My point was that don't automatically assume that you should mark down 50% or less, do your homework.

Ebay and Audigon and Craigslist can give you a history of what they have sold for so you don't price yourself too low. My other points that center channels and surrounds are far less often seen on these sites and tend to go for a higher value.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Thanks for the advice. I will check the history on the mentioned websites.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis