What would you do with an old receiver?

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
So I have a 10+ year old Onkyo TX-SR876 with a twice dead hdmi board (fixed it once years ago soldering new caps on it). Going to be receiving a Marantz SR8012 next week to replace it and upgrade to an atmos setup. What can I do with the Onkyo? I was thinking about fixing the hdmi board again and maybe try to get a hundred or two for it but don't know if I want to go through the hassle. It's a powerhouse and has been impressing me for more than a decade but I've just had to move the hdmi cord from device to device when I want to do something else. I'd use it in my living room but I want to get a slim receiver like the Marantz 1510 for that space.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I have a 10+ year old Onkyo TX-SR876 with a twice dead hdmi board (fixed it once years ago soldering new caps on it). Going to be receiving a Marantz SR8012 next week to replace it and upgrade to an atmos setup. What can I do with the Onkyo? I was thinking about fixing the hdmi board again and maybe try to get a hundred or two for it but don't know if I want to go through the hassle. It's a powerhouse and has been impressing me for more than a decade but I've just had to move the hdmi cord from device to device when I want to do something else. I'd use it in my living room but I want to get a slim receiver like the Marantz 1510 for that space.
Its worthless junk, recycle it, unless you have a use for it only using the analog inputs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Make it the heart of a 2 channel system or as a 2nd system without HDMI to the AVR like I did for my bedroom system.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It all falls to the wayside. You can put it in recycling or find use for the amps inside if they are still good for powering an additional zone of speakers. But, it's time to be practical. The HDMI is severely outdated and it's just not worth much.

My old Yamaha Z1 is basically worthless despite some of the best amplification and DACs ever produced. No HDMI, so what's the point?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think most people give their old AVRs to families.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It all falls to the wayside. You can put it in recycling or find use for the amps inside if they are still good for powering an additional zone of speakers. But, it's time to be practical. The HDMI is severely outdated and it's just not worth much.

My old Yamaha Z1 is basically worthless despite some of the best amplification and DACs ever produced. No HDMI, so what's the point?
You could use it in a two channel system.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, if you happen to have 5 or 6 extra pairs of speakers laying around (don't we all? :p) you can always set them up in another room. A bedroom setup maybe?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You could use it in a two channel system.
I could, if that's what I was into. But, I have 20+ two channel systems already...

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I keep all amps of any kind to replace ones that die. I recently had to do that. Peace and goodwill.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I could, if that's what I was into. But, I have 20+ two channel systems already...
Wish there a away to hook them all up at once similar to a movie theater system ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I keep all amps of any kind to replace ones that die. I recently had to do that. Peace and goodwill.
Don’t donate to goodwill we don’t need to feed mega corporations lol

I have found some good stuff there , but I won’t go back ... the reptilians live in goodwill

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds to me like an excuse to buy some new speakers and setup a little 2.1 system in another room or something...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Wish there a away to hook them all up at once similar to a movie theater system ...

Why would I want to do that? They are all in different rooms of my home and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my audio in every room separately or properly if I was running it through multi-channel processing.

I certainly could setup a theater with a bunch of speakers and audio processing if I wanted to, but I think I will just use a proper surround sound receiver for that, as I'm already doing. 7.4.4 will be plenty once it's all done.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why would I want to do that? They are all in different rooms of my home and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my audio in every room separately or properly if I was running it through multi-channel processing.

I certainly could setup a theater with a bunch of speakers and audio processing if I wanted to, but I think I will just use a proper surround sound receiver for that, as I'm already doing. 7.4.4 will be plenty once it's all done.
Yeah I don’t know what to use onkyo for wish I had one for my garage lol went broke ....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis