What would be ideal room size?

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
I am wanting to build a 7.2.4 dedicated Home Theater with 2 rows of 3-4 seats. Back row elevated. Wanting a screen size of approx 150-165".
I want the back surround to be behind the back row. Wanting isle room on each side. Speakers will be in-wall with the fronts all behind screen. Atmos will be in ceiling.
I want the front row to have a bit of Wow factor when viewing.
I was thinking 14'ish by 20'ish but now I am 2nd guessing the size.
I am building the room in the basement.

Eric

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
For me, the ideal room is ANY room my mother-in-law is not in. :D How deep is that basement? I mean, Atmos speakers and elevated rows and all.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is this a custom built room, you are thinking of? What are the limitations (how high can a drop tile ceiling or whatever you plan be? Other wall dimensions?

Main thing I would stress is that you want to avoid measurements that are multiples of another (sorry, Maz) and square rooms. If you really wanted to do it to the nines you would look for Golden Ratio measurements.

When it comes to planning seating and distance from a screen that size, I can't advise... not my cup'o'tea. I have a room with one seat! :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I was building my house, I saw an online article from the Audio Engineering Society. They have some room ratios of H:W:L.

One of the ratios is 1H: 1.57W: 1.87L.

Since I wanted my ceiling height to be 14FT, the ratio came out to be 14H: 22W: 26L.

I think another ratio is 1H:1.4W:1.9L.

Another one with longer L is 1H:1.5W:2.5L

So if the Ceiling H is 10FT, then
1) W = 14FT, L = 19FT
2) W = 16FT, L = 19FT
3) W = 15FT, L = 25FT

But there are other ratios as well.

Last edited:
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
My room is 14'x20' and it's not large enough. I wish it were 17'x24'. I feel the size I have currently is the absolute minimum for a quality experience but don't expect much shoulder room if you want more than a few people in there with genuine theater seats
20201005_230357.jpg

Here's a video of what the room looks like just before I installed the 158" cinemawide screen shown below.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis