What VINYL ONLY Are Ya Listening To? Thread! ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Until yesterday, my turntable had been acting up and I finally decided to look into the cause- it's a Sony PS-X600, which has a servo-controlled tracking system for the tonearm and had issues with the power and zero-balance switches and wasn't sensing the end of the LP. The servo control technology is similar to the models from Denon and some other brands- at this point, I would go with something much more simple because if it ever stops working completely (or is so intermittent that it's effectively useless), I'll be left with a paperweight. After removing the bottom panel , I decided to loosen and re-tighten the various ground wire screws- so far, it has shown none of the problems.

The first LP I played was 'Minstrel In The Gallery' and, having been pressed in the late-'70s, some of the details I noticed (after hearing it for the first time in years) were the separation and apparent 'sound stage'. Tonal balance was very good and while the bass doesn't go extremely low, it was realistic enough, especially considering the fact that I don't use a subwoofer-they had to mix for the masses WRT turntables, but it sounds good.

My curiosity got the better of me, so I checked the price of a remastered LP- Amazon has remastered vinyl for $499. Not. Gonna. Happen.

highfigh

highfigh

New belts.
I have a few pieces that need belts, too- relatively easy to repair, but I don't need to use them and I have too much to do, so they're on the back burner. My Walkman needs a new main gear and at least one belt (it worked briefly, then stopped, but the capstan spins, so I know the motor is good). I haven't used it in years and recently saw the same model on Ebay with asking price of $1250, so I might sell it. That's not a typo, either. It's the playback version of the Walkman Pro.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a few pieces that need belts, too- relatively easy to repair, but I don't need to use them and I have too much to do, so they're on the back burner. My Walkman needs a new main gear and at least one belt (it worked briefly, then stopped, but the capstan spins, so I know the motor is good). I haven't used it in years and recently saw the same model on Ebay with asking price of $1250, so I might sell it. That's not a typo, either. It's the playback version of the Walkman Pro.
EBay prices are just plain stupid

highfigh

highfigh

EBay prices are just plain stupid
And some of the high prices were in the Completed Listings area.

Old audio gear is going for insane prices and a lot of the pieces were never special when they were new, but the experts at Audio Karma says they are, so they must be....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
New belts.
Agreed. Just replaced a 5-year-old generic belt with a brand new REGA belt on my Planar 3. Seems to make a slight difference. Probably due to the age of the old belt.

highfigh

highfigh

Agreed. Just replaced a 5-year-old generic belt with a brand new REGA belt on my Planar 3. Seems to make a slight difference. Probably due to the age of the old belt.
I still have my dad's turntable and I was checking it out, to sell. I pressed the power switch, moved the tonearm to start the motor and the platter just sat there. I removed the rubber mat and saw that the belt had relaxed completely- it had slid off of the platter. Motor runs, belt has no elasticity.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday's listening selections are based on yesterday's music score. Unfortuntately, I'll have to toss the Rush album into the garbage as its too far gone. Even my Oracle can't track through without skipping.
IMG_0642.jpg
IMG_0643.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0647.jpg
IMG_0648.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss "Raise The Roof", 2021 Rounder Records.

RPlant_AKrauss_RaiseTheRoof.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday's recording/listening sessions

IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg

I dusted everything after I took those pictures which pointed out all the dust.

IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis