What type of Interconnects?

A

Alessio

Audioholic Intern
Ok, here comes what may be a whopper of a silly question:

In connecting my cd player to my integrated amp, using the analog output, do I want to use balanced interconnects? Does it matter, if so, why?

Thanks for any comments !

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't bother.

Alessio said:
Ok, here comes what may be a whopper of a silly question:

In connecting my cd player to my integrated amp, using the analog output, do I want to use balanced interconnects? Does it matter, if so, why?

Thanks for any comments !
The only time I've ever found the need for balanced runs is when running low level signals over a great distance whrere noise pickup would be an issue, such as the microphone runs in the churchs I do voluunteer work for.

For home use they are overkill but some people like them.. can't hoit.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you have the ability, why not? It won't hurt any. If you're talking about "balanced" IC's that are terminated with RCAs, then no. These aren't actually balanced. Any high-quality I/C will do in this case.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The "balanced" RCA ICs do reject noise better than normal analog ICs, though they are not truly balanced like XLR. All the ICs I use are this type and they work great.

Does your CD player even have balanced connections (XLR)? XLR could potentially cost you a lot more too...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Word of caution though...with the twisted pair RCA type I/Cs, you do end up with higher capacitance, which means they are not good for connecting turntables to your phono input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis