What to Upgrade First?

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Got a new house, and a new job. I am ready to do the first of many upgrades to my system.
The house, is accustically challenged. I can hear a cricket fart from the opposite side of the house.
The main room has ~8000 ft^3. 15' vaulted ceilings (rt side is 8', above the mini wall is peak at 15').
The living room / formal dinning area is carpeted, everything else is tile.
The room opens up into other areas of the house. Kitchen, Office, and some hallways.
See picture below.

So, to my question. What to upgrade first for ~$900, that would give the greatest return.
1. AVR. Mine is ~11-12yrs old. A newer one would provide Audessy, and might be able to correct some of the room issues. Such as a Denon 3312, 3313, or X4000...pre-outs are a requirement. I probably won't have a center channel until I do in-walls.
2. Sub. I have been running 2.0 for to long. It's a lot of area for a single $900 sub to handle. Current speakers go to about 35hz +- 3db.
3. Room treatments.

I would like to reuse this equipment in the near future (12mo), so I included my goals.

-Build a equipment room, and place 2 server cabinets. 1 for server equipment, 1 for amps, receiver, source equipment, home automation equipment, etc.
-Put 3 inwall speakers around the soon to be wall mounted TV (RBH SI-6100 or something else), and put in a surround system. I have a 4 and 8yr old who like to knock over speakers, and twice, almost my tv.
-Install heavy curtains to close off the kitchen area.
-Accustical Panels.
-4k projector, and a motorized 12' across screen (perhaps anamorphic)

Thanks.

House1.JPG

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think under those circumstances I would be going for a newer receiver, something that handles HDMI, lossless audio, and 1080p at least. The Denon receivers you mention should do well. Next to that, get a sub. However, to pressurize your space, that sub would have to be massive. To get around that, I would look into near-field subwoofer placement, if you can accommodate it. That is where you place the sub very close to the listening position, like as an endtable or right behind the seat. This way you can get great bass in any size room without spending a fortune. You will still want a good sub though, I would be looking at the Hsu, PSA, Outlaw, or Rythmik subs for this.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The most important part of a sound system is always speakers. Next in line is room acoustics. It isn't any more complicated than that.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
The most important part of a sound system is always speakers. Next in line is room acoustics. It isn't any more complicated than that.
I completely agree. That's why I put it on the list. But with only ~$900 to spend, and the replacement speakers I want are going to cost me $6-$9k.
Unless it's a sub, the other speakers will have to wait. The surrounds would need cables run through the attic, or power. It's already 100 degrees outside in AZ, so that will have to wait until after the summer.

That leaves room acoustics....I have had a very hard time finding a local company that specializes in acoustics in AZ. All the ones I did find, only work with businesses. All 15 the HT companies I called wanted to focus on upgrading equipment, and none of them knew anything about acoustical panels or any other companies that did. I was very disappointed. On a side note, how far do you think $900 of acoustical treatments can get you? I suppose I could go internet direct, and get a few decorative acoustical wall panels. Some are better then none. And I have to start some place. (I did just find 2 promising local companies via google. I will be giving them a call next week.)

Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 and Audyssey Sub EQ HT Dual subwoofer EQ vs. 11yr old YPAO; I think could make a huge difference in the room as well...possibly as much as room treatments.

Thanks for the suggestions.</SPAN>

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I completely agree. That's why I put it on the list. But with only ~$900 to spend, and the replacement speakers I want are going to cost me $6-$9k.
Unless it's a sub, the other speakers will have to wait. The surrounds would need cables run through the attic, or power. It's already 100 degrees outside in AZ, so that will have to wait until after the summer.

That leaves room acoustics....I have had a very hard time finding a local company that specializes in acoustics in AZ. All the ones I did find, only work with businesses. All 15 the HT companies I called wanted to focus on upgrading equipment, and none of them knew anything about acoustical panels or any other companies that did. I was very disappointed. On a side note, how far do you think $900 of acoustical treatments can get you? I suppose I could go internet direct, and get a few decorative acoustical wall panels. Some are better then none. And I have to start some place. (I did just find 2 promising local companies via google. I will be giving them a call next week.)

Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 and Audyssey Sub EQ HT Dual subwoofer EQ vs. 11yr old YPAO; I think could make a huge difference in the room as well...possibly as much as room treatments.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I get the feeling that you are too eager to spend that $900. Don't. Save it and spend proper order that will make the most difference, as mentioned by fmw.
If you spend that $900 on a receiver now, long before you have the right speakers and you may need to spend even more later because it is not enough for your future speakers.
Spend it on a sub and you will discover your volume is just too large for that sub.
You may want to read some of the acoustics posts at AVS as they have several posters who are in the business and could help from afar.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The right way of doing things is to address room first and only then run and rely on electronic EQ systems like Audyssey
My suggestion is before buying anything else is to get some measuring tools and test how bad/good is the sound now.
You already use outboard amps so integrating inline dsp should be a breeze for you.
I recommend
this measuring microphone:UMIK-1 | miniDSP
This software: REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
and this DSP to apply measured correction: miniDSP 2x4 | miniDSP (You'd also need to get a audio plugin - add $10)

or just get ready and easy to use system:
Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 Precision Audio Measurement System 390-792

It's a little expensive, but many people swear by it for home audio measurements

The difference is this method you could see the existing issues and see how room treatments improved the situation

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Good points.
Yeah the ~$900 is for my birthday so I was thinking of using it right away. It's usually hard to save money.
House projects, college funds, kids, high maintenance wife, life, etc.

I didn't even think about taking my own room measurements. /sigh. I should know better.

I usually avoid that other website like the plague. A lot of forum trolls.
Not to mention the extra long threads where people will talk themselves in circles, and nobody reads the posts before asking a question that was already answered.

It's not everyday I get to spend for myself.
Thanks again for talking sense into me.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers first then a AVR w/HDMI Question to the OP, do you have a BR or CD player

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I also think it should be speakers first but with a $900 limit I would take the easy way out and grab the Denon 4000. You may want to wait for the review and price drop, that should take a few months. Then start saving up for speakers and possibly an external 2/3 channel power amp.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with PENG, Speakers should be a priority, but I would work towards speakers. Once you have a better grasp of your new home and Job, I would start researching speakers and create a budget. You can get a long of AVR for the money in the Denon 4000.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Speakers first then a AVR w/HDMI Question to the OP, do you have a BR or CD player
Panasonic DMP-BDT 320, and a laptop with a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card.
I thought about getting an Oppo, but I stream a lot of 720/1080p movies from my movie server through my laptop.
I have maybe a dozen BR. I have watched 2 movies total since Xmas through the BR player.

HDMI to TV, and Optical to AVR.

Thank you.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I agree with PENG, Speakers should be a priority, but I would work towards speakers. Once you have a better grasp of your new home and Job, I would start researching speakers and create a budget. You can get a long of AVR for the money in the Denon 4000.
I have been 6 mo in my job now. Well through the probation period.
Speakers have been researched, RBH 6100-SE/R or SI-760/R. I have heard the 6100's, I still need to hear the SI760's. I have budgeted $9k for LCR, and should be ready to pull the trigger next February. Since I am still 8-9 months out from purchasing, some other speaker could draw my attention. I am 100% set on inwalls for the front three, until my kids are out of the house.

Thank you.

A

avengineer

Banned
I also think it should be speakers first but with a $900 limit I would take the easy way out and grab the Denon 4000. You may want to wait for the review and price drop, that should take a few months. Then start saving up for speakers and possibly an external 2/3 channel power amp.
Just dump it all into speakers, forget the external amp, it'll get you nothing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis