What styles of music genres do you very regularly listen to? Just Curious.

What styles of music genres do you very regularly listen to?

• Rock

• Pop

• Hip Hop / Rap

• Country

• R&B /Soul

• Classical

• Folk

• Electronic

• Jazz

• Other not listed above

Results are only viewable after voting.
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Folks,

I thought it would be interesting to see what other Audioholics are listening to these days. Care to share?

You can select more than one. I thought these would cover the main ones. Did I miss anything "big"? Please advise.

Thanks for the assist.

C

carlosmiguez75

Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

I thought it would be interesting to see what other Audioholics are listening to these days. Care to share?

You can select more than one. I thought these would cover the main ones. Did I miss anything "big"? Please advise.

Thanks for the assist.
I'd be happy to share! I'm currently listening to a mix of classic rock, indie, and electronic music.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
How about Blues? I consider that to be separate from R&B.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It would be easy to make the list longer. :) I listen to a fair bit of progressive rock and 'alternative' or indie rock/pop that doesn't receive much air play. Heavy Metal would be another form of rock as well but I guess it's all rock'n'roll to some. Many forms of classical too. I agree that Blues could be added though.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents, thanks for the comments.

You are absolutely correct, I should have Blues and Metal as options. I tried to edit them in but I couldn't figure how to do that. (Maybe Polls don't allow it?)

Perhaps a Mod or Admin could do us a favor and edit the Poll?

Thanks for the assist.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would say 40% of my listening is 80s/90s alternative. Not sure that entirely fits into "rock", which has become a broad category. I listen to a lot of chill electronic at work because it flows rather than distracts. At home it is whatever mood I am in, which can be across most genres.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, right now it's 'New Age' - Mannheim Steamroller
Last week it was very random Beastie Boys - To the Five Boroughs, John Summit's new album - Comfort in Chaos. Today it feels like Godsmack - Other Side and some Porcupine Tree.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Lately for me it's been reggae/dub, jam band, electronic and jazz. I go thru classic rock/heavy metal spells in between.

The SQ from some of the newer music, synthetic or otherwise, is too good to ignore.

I'll listen to some classic country like Lyle Lovett, Conway Twitty, John Anderson and some of the '90s groups occasionally, and a couple albums by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band but nothing from the age of the countrified pop star stuff that is currently all the rage, or much of anything made since around Y2k to now.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Gents, thanks for the comments.

You are absolutely correct, I should have Blues and Metal as options. I tried to edit them in but I couldn't figure how to do that. (Maybe Polls don't allow it?)

Perhaps a Mod or Admin could do us a favor and edit the Poll?

Thanks for the assist.
Yeah, we can all get anal retentive about this. I thought you mostly covered it. When I categorize my music into folders I tend to put rock, classic rock, heavy metal, alternative, grunge, prog, new wave, punk, and so on into the same folder. For my tastes, Pop, Blues, Instrumental Rock/Fusion, Reggae, Indie, Acoustic, and Rockabilly get separate folders. IMO, these don't blend as well with the first group I listed. Though some blues-rock does surely cross over. It's not perfect. All these folders are in a "Rock" folder.

I have a "Jazz" folder that has in it a range of categories based on what I like to listen to for a certain mood also.

I only picked two categories because they're my go to when I listen to my own stuff or while streaming.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yeah, we can all get anal retentive about this. I thought you mostly covered it. When I categorize my music into folders I tend to put rock, classic rock, heavy metal, alternative, grunge, prog, new wave, punk, and so on into the same folder. For my tastes, Pop, Blues, Instrumental Rock/Fusion, Reggae, Indie, Acoustic, and Rockabilly get separate folders. IMO, these don't blend as well with the first group I listed. Though some blues-rock does surely cross over. It's not perfect. All these folders are in a "Rock" folder.

I have a "Jazz" folder that has in it a range of categories based on what I like to listen to for a certain mood also.

I only picked two categories because they're my go to when I listen to my own stuff or while streaming.

Thanks for the post. I did ask a Mod (@jinjuku ) to edit the list but he advised that type of edit can't be done. My Bad.

But folks will just have post the other genres they like that aren't on the list. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Rap & Hip Hop don't do it for me. I did a lot of car audio systems for those and constant, strong, droning bass with almost no range of notes do nothing, aside from irritating me. OTOH, I hate most modern Country, pop and several other genres because the music needs to be interesting, preferably not too simple and if it has stupid lyrics, I can't turn it off soon enough. The lyrical cliches really annoy me.

Having said that, I like a lot of music that makes people react like a dog watching TV. When I was a kid, my friends & I would go to each other's house and listen to music. I liked my older brother's music, like Cream, ELP, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Moody Blues and others, but they were listening to Donny & Marie Osmond, The Archies and other bubble gum stuff. When I would play Cream's Wheels Of Fire/Disraeli Gears, ELP, etc, they would ask if we could go someplace else after about 3 minutes as if they were genuinely afraid. Some of the others got it, but they were at least a year older.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Rap & Hip Hop don't do it for me. I did a lot of car audio systems for those and constant, strong, droning bass with almost no range of notes do nothing, aside from irritating me. OTOH, I hate most modern Country, pop and several other genres because the music needs to be interesting, preferably not too simple and if it has stupid lyrics, I can't turn it off soon enough. The lyrical cliches really annoy me.

Having said that, I like a lot of music that makes people react like a dog watching TV. When I was a kid, my friends & I would go to each other's house and listen to music. I liked my older brother's music, like Cream, ELP, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Moody Blues and others, but they were listening to Donny & Marie Osmond, The Archies and other bubble gum stuff. When I would play Cream's Wheels Of Fire/Disraeli Gears, ELP, etc, they would ask if we could go someplace else after about 3 minutes as if they were genuinely afraid. Some of the others got it, but they were at least a year older.
Man, I really like your older brother's music too. I still listen to a lot of those artists.
Sorry I still listen to all of them. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Man, I really like your older brother's music too. I still listen to a lot of those artists.
Sorry I still listen to all of them. :)
I do, too- I forgot to mention King Crimson's Court Of The Crimson King (not sure how or why I forgot)- still one of my favorites and that's definitely one of the records that scared my friends.

I was 10-12 when I first heard this stuff and it's the reason I don't like a lot of the music that's popular. I mean, some is just good pop music, but I haven't heard anything lately that impressed me. I have heard songs with a five note range and I don't meant they sang five different notes, I mean five notes that are adjacent on the musical scale.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the assist.
I listen to classical music for the most part, probably 90%.

About 10% of my listening is split between early 60's jazz (Coltrane, Dolphy, Hubbard, Blakley, etc.) , some jazz/fusion (Mike Stern, John Scofield, Pat Metheny Group,etc.), female vocalists (Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Carl King, Diana Krall, etc.) and a few rock bands from my younger days (Yes, early Chicago, Steely Dan, etc.).

My classical listening is split just about equally between instrumental, choral/instrumental, acapella choral works. and arias and art songs. I enjoy music from the medieval through the present. That said, 20th and 21st century music probably accounts for half of my classical listening.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I do, too- I forgot to mention King Crimson's Court Of The Crimson King (not sure how or why I forgot)- still one of my favorites and that's definitely one of the records that scared my friends.

I was 10-12 when I first heard this stuff and it's the reason I don't like a lot of the music that's popular. I mean, some is just good pop music, but I haven't heard anything lately that impressed me. I have heard songs with a five note range and I don't meant they sang five different notes, I mean five notes that are adjacent on the musical scale.
Court of the Crimson King is an all timer for sure. :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I like rock, rap, and rock . There’s some country songs that I like, but I rarely listen to it. So the top 3 choices it is. :cool:
oh metal too . :D!!! Probably the best .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis