What Sony PlayStation 4 Brings to Your Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony finally unveiled PlayStation 4 with all the hype and showmanship we expected. A lot of time was spent emphasizing the company's commitment to a social gaming experience, mobility and an anywhere/anytime gamer-centrism. My initial response as an Audioholic: No mystical social experience controls my destiny. It sounded like a lot of simple tricks and nonsense. When it comes to getting the most out of your home theater system; hokey touchscreens and social sharing is no match for good hardware specifications by your side, kids. So, let's dig into what PS4 is really going to mean to us.

Discuss "What Sony PlayStation 4 Brings to Your Home Theater System" here. Read the article.

J

jay21112

Audioholic
I missed something. This didn't tell me anything about what PS4 will bring to my home theater.
4K resolution, 8K resolution, 3D, picture quality, sound quality...aren't these things that matter in home theater. Not what the controller looks like?

Don't mean to sound salty, but I was really excited when I saw the title...

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
jay, head over to AVS and introduce yourself. there is a whole thread of people complaining that sony didn't stand up there and talk for hours about what it can do as a HTPC. except, err.. it's not a HTPC it's a gaming machine. what you want to do with it is fine, but most initial press is gonna be about gaming. go figure.

btw it will do 4K and 3D and no, it doesn't have a BDXL.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I missed something. This didn't tell me anything about what PS4 will bring to my home theater.
4K resolution, 8K resolution, 3D, picture quality, sound quality...aren't these things that matter in home theater. Not what the controller looks like?

Don't mean to sound salty, but I was really excited when I saw the title...
I agree with that. Pretty misleading title...

4K - Maybe video content, but not 4k gaming for sure, not this this bunch of mid-tier hardware by today standards - well maybe some tricks like significantly lower polygon count for 4k or simple upscaled 1080p
Today only the high end card like 690 can sustain good frame-rate for AAA title with Max quality on 2k resolution

One thing goes for PS4 (PS3 before it) is that PSN is free and unlike Live Gold allows to use it for many goodies like Netflix without addition cost of network subscription

One thing we ALL still have not seen is the PS4 itself

J

jay21112

Audioholic
Well, my deal was, when the PS3 first came out, all the reviews said it was as good a Blu-Ray player as anything else out there....plus it plays games. So it was a no-brainer to get that as my Blu-Ray player. Now with 3D in ashes, the next "newness" in home theater will be 4K. So my wonder is if the PS4 will be my next Blu-Ray player, or if there are better options (Oppo?).

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
4K resolution, 8K resolution, 3D, picture quality, sound quality..
Sorry about that but we don't know much. In the article I listed everything Sony gave us in the presentation. I, like many of us was only focused on the hardware, relevant to my HT system when I watched the presentation.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
One thing goes for PS4 (PS3 before it) is that PSN is free and unlike Live Gold allows to use it for many goodies like Netflix without addition cost of network subscription
Not sure where I read it but I was under the impression that Sony would be charging for their new online stuff, at least a portion of it.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
^ None of this stuff makes any difference to me.
I have an Oppo 105 to play Blu-Rays. Don't need my PS4 to do that.
I have a smart phone and a PC for networking/internet browsing/music etcetera. Don't need my PS4 to do that.
I don't really game on the go. Don't need my PS4 to have mobile connectivity.

What I'd like my PS4 to do is provide mind blowing content like what we used to see regularly on PS1 and PS2.
Stuff like the original Resident Evil, Metal Gear Soild, Ico, the original Silent Hill, and Fear Effect. Hardcore gamer content.
Not exactly those genres per se but something original and new.
Seems like they did their homework with the hardware, just hope 3rd party support is stronger than it has been for PS3.
Would also like to see support for Oculous Rift integrated into next gen consoles too.

--chaz

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure where I read it but I was under the impression that Sony would be charging for their new online stuff, at least a portion of it.
It will be the same as before AFAIK, standard is free, but Plus grants additional features for a fee.

Cloud didn't sound good to me either, BUT if it lets you basically have all game saves in the cloud, that might be useful to me. Right now their 1G of space to store saves is usually not even enough to store more than one or two saves for one game.

I don't use my PS3 for music, but if the PS4 adds something useful I might use it as a streamer. I currently use the PS3 as my primary video streaming device in both my systems as it does a better job than anything else short of a computer.

I agree, they need to get the providers to put out some better games. Not rehashes of previous ones, not another in the series, just good games. They've been farther and fewer between lately. There ARE some good ones out there, but not nearly as many.

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
There is one issue that has not be made clear yet, the ability to play used games on the PS4. On 2/21 Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer in an interview that used games could be played on the PS4. Now fastfoward six days and PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara says Sony's stance on second-hand games working on PlayStation 4 'isn't clarified just yet' in his interview with NowGamer .

Many believe that Sony will block used games on the PS4, they argue that the patent Sony filed last year is clear evidence of that fact. What ever the case may be I for one would like a clear official answer.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There is one issue that has not be made clear yet, the ability to play used games on the PS4. On 2/21 Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer in an interview that used games could be played on the PS4. Now fastfoward six days and PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara says Sony's stance on second-hand games working on PlayStation 4 'isn't clarified just yet' in his interview with NowGamer .

Many believe that Sony will block used games on the PS4, they argue that the patent Sony filed last year is clear evidence of that fact. What ever the case may be I for one would like a clear official answer.
Making games is very expensive and they need to find ways to increase revenues so working conditions improve for their developers.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Making games is very expensive and they need to find ways to increase revenues so working conditions improve for their developers.
True, Some AAA titles are in the same league in terms of production costs as some Hollywood movies and there has to be a way for the devs to recoup their investment and turn a profit as well. I have no dog in this fight since all the titles I currently own were bought new and any titles in the future will also be new, but a clear official answer to this question would be helpful to many that go the used route or swap games with friends.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I buy the vast majority of titles new too, but occasionally pick up used copies. If they DID do something like that, they'd most likely just add a "pay for a new code to use it" system as well.

They've patented other things that haven't shown up yet either because they'd be equally stupid. They patented the ability to interrupt an online game with what amounts to commercial. I promise you things would go bad quick if they implemented something like that.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I can see Sony implementing a "Pay for a new code" to unlock a used game disk, this might be the future reality of gaming in order to combat used game sales.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, and they can either make it cheap enough that there is a market or they can eliminate the used market entirely by forcing companies to make the codes so expensive you might as well buy new.

I think they are introducing cloud in order to eliminate media completely though going forward. That would drastically cut down on used copies.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
For me, the biggest thing is mouse and keyboard support.
Finally get to pwn console nubs.

However, I thought that Lost Planet was great.
I also agree that the quality of games has gone down since PS2.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've been using a keyboard with my PS3 for years. USB, wireless and bluetooth all work fine. Mice are sort of hit or miss though, but I haven't tried a bluetooth one. There are a few companies that make them specifically for the PS3 though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis