What size sealed box for my TC Sounds 5400 ultra 18"

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Is a sealed box that is 2.4ft3 a good sized box for my tc sounds 18"? On winisd it said that it was perfect for this sub.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
That size works well, just note that eq will be absolutely necessary for optimal performance. Remember to take into account for bracing in the internal volume, as your external should end up 3 times the size of internal after.. the external deminsions will be 22" or 23" cubed.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
why 22" cubed? 21" x 20" x 17" should work right? That would be 3.3ft3 with about .40 displacement for the bracing and .30 for the displacement of the sub.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
why 22" cubed? 21" x 20" x 17" should work right? That would be 3.3ft3 with about .40 displacement for the bracing and .30 for the displacement of the sub.
Was just using cubed as an easy reference. As long as the value internally is correct your fine.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That size works well, just note that eq will be absolutely necessary for optimal performance. Remember to take into account for bracing in the internal volume, as your external should end up 3 times the size of internal after.. the external deminsions will be 22" or 23" cubed.
If you are stuffing it as you should be it will counter the bracing. This is a sub so you don't need to go crazy like you would with a typical speaker. Just brace it for strength.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
When you say stuffing it do you mean polyfill? Why would that counter the bracing? Sorry I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
When you say stuffing it do you mean polyfill? Why would that counter the bracing? Sorry I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Polyfill works as does a couple pillows, rockwool, fiberglass. etc. Stuffing lowers the tuning of your box. Bracing reduce volume which raises tuning, but in a sealed sub the two are likely to cancel each other out in my experience. One thing to be careful of with this sub is walking. Yes it's powerful enough to move itself.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Polyfill works as does a couple pillows, rockwool, fiberglass. etc. Stuffing lowers the tuning of your box. Bracing reduce volume which raises tuning, but in a sealed sub the two are likely to cancel each other out in my experience. One thing to be careful of with this sub is walking. Yes it's powerful enough to move itself.
Even in a dual opposed config with far less power than they can take and in an enclosure that weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 300+ lbs, mine has a tendency to do a little shimmying and shaking.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Even in a dual opposed config with far less power than they can take and in an enclosure that weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 300+ lbs, mine has a tendency to do a little shimmying and shaking.
I'd be tempted to downfire the sub though I'm not sure I'd want it hovering either. Plus I don't really want to sag a driver that costs that much.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Shouldn't a dual opposed enclosure be nice and inert? Since the drivers are doing the exact same thing on opposite sides, I would imagine it'd balance out.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'd be tempted to downfire the sub though I'm not sure I'd want it hovering either. Plus I don't really want to sag a driver that costs that much.
I've seen a build or two that have done it, but that big Al cone worries me about sagging more than other cone materials.

Shouldn't a dual opposed enclosure be nice and inert? Since the drivers are doing the exact same thing on opposite sides, I would imagine it'd balance out.
Yes it should, but at high volumes (or sometimes even moderate volumes) the drivers are so powerful and moving so much air that they'll cause the walls and floor to shudder, which in turn causes the sub to shiver. I have no doubt, that decoupled from the floor, it probably wouldn't move an inch. Same goes with the other DO I built. I took extra care to ensure there was maximum airflow, without sacrificing on bracing to make sure the back waves would be able to really cancel each other out and that one still shakes a bit.

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
These days from what I can gather sub sag should not be a concern. I have two up firing and two down firing right now.

Last night I was doing some amp testing and playing a 30 hz tone. My down firing tube was walking like a 4 legged spider! haha. And it weights well over 150 lbs.

I tried to upload pics but it seems they're too large. Anyone know if I can pay to get some upgraded storage and features?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
These days from what I can gather sub sag should not be a concern. I have two up firing and two down firing right now.

Last night I was doing some amp testing and playing a 30 hz tone. My down firing tube was walking like a 4 legged spider! haha. And it weights well over 150 lbs.

I tried to upload pics but it seems they're too large. Anyone know if I can pay to get some upgraded storage and features?
any thought to using photo bucket or another image hosting site?

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
any thought to using photo bucket or another image hosting site?
Yes, but a couple things. It's just one more step that I feel is unnecessary. I could just re-size them on my computer if I wanted to take extra steps. The other problem with image hosting sites is your pictures end up disappearing after a period of time.

The plus side is you own your content, but that's never been an issue for me.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, but a couple things. It's just one more step that I feel is unnecessary. I could just re-size them on my computer if I wanted to take extra steps. The other problem with image hosting sites is your pictures end up disappearing after a period of time.

The plus side is you own your content, but that's never been an issue for me.
Your pictures don't disappear after a period of time with photobucket. The reason they disappear, unless I'm mistaken, is because you're only given a certain amount of space with the free version and people delete the pictures in the photobucket account which causes the broken link.

It is extra steps, but for me, it's worth it for the added flexibility the image hosting sites provide, plus when I run out of room I just create a new e-mail address and in turn a new photobucket account.

My advice would be to go to the site suggestions area/thread and suggest that they add increased picture storage as part of the premium membership (I don't think it currently is but, again, I could be mistaken).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis