What should my speaker size & x-over be set to?

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Hello, I have a HK AVR-635 with 5.1 setup of klipsch speakers (sf-3 front, sc-3 center, sb-3 rears) and a velodyne vx-10 sub.

I ran the EZ set feature on the HK which is supposed to set everything for me for optimal sound. However there is one thing I noticed that might be wrong. The front speakers are being set to large and 40hz. However I read here awhile ago to set them to small and put the frequency right at where the sub cuts out. So my sub is set to 80hz (on the actual sub) so should i tweek it so the speakers only play down to 80hz?

Sorry for how long this is I just want to make sure im explaining myself right. I'm just starting to get into the actual tweeking of things and I'm really enjoying it, but want to do it right. Thanks.

annunaki

annunaki

What is the f3 or -3db point of your other speakers? That will help determine the best crossover point.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
annunaki said:
What is the f3 or -3db point of your other speakers? That will help determine the best crossover point.
Sorry I don't really understand this.

annunaki

annunaki

In the specifications for your speakers, there should be a frquency response number. It is usually expressed as (for example) 50hz-20khz +/-3db. This means that the speaker is capable of producing every frquency from 50hz to 20,000hz within 3 decibels of one another. What I am looking for is the lowest number from that spec from all of the speakers.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
F-3 specs

Specifications Synergy F-3
FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
35Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
SENSITIVITY:
97dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
POWER HANDLING:
150 w (600 w peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
8 ohms

I've demo'd these speakers, and they go pretty darn low. I wouldn't jump the gun and set them to small just yet. The HK may have nailed it on the head. Does your sub put out as much bass as the towers? Those towers have an extremely high sound pressure level. Don't forget, you'll still have a lot of flexibility with your sub's settings.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
From what i've read,speakers set to lg should be low bass capable which is 20Hz. 35 is pretty nice but i'd still set them to small,unless my sub isnt anygood around there.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Also remeber to set the dial on the sub as high as it will go when using the crossover setting on the receiver.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
hmmm I kinda have the reverse of that, the sub is set to 120hz on the HK but i have the dial set to 80hz. When I am running the setup program should I set the sub to the highest?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
jmanlp said:
hmmm I kinda have the reverse of that, the sub is set to 120hz on the HK but i have the dial set to 80hz. When I am running the setup program should I set the sub to the highest?
You are losing everything between 80 and 120 (I know, I know the settings are not brick walls, but let's keep it simple here). My recomendation is to start out as shokhead said "All small and 80 is a good starting place". This means the cross over the receiver should be set to 80 and the sub dial should be set as high as it can go and all your speakers should be set to small. In doing this you are taking the sub out of the cross over equation and letting the receiver handle the cross over duties. Also you are letting the sub handle all the low stuff which it can do better than your speakers.

annunaki

annunaki

The H/K has a quad crossover, and I believe that crossover settings can be set independently for front, rear, center and sub. That is why I would like to know what the -3db point is for the other speakers. With speakers capable down to 35hz I would set my crossover point at 40hz, assuming the rest of the speakers can play that low. On the sub, set it's crossover as high as it goes, switch it to off or bypass.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Hm, I've recently tweeked my sub's crossover to 50Hz as I wanted it to be less directional. I love the result. Yet many times people state that you should have ti higher... like 60 or 80Hz... for me that provides too much directional SPL from the sub.
As my sub is located behind my couch, I'd rather hear the loud explosion and FEEL the rumble. With a higher crossover I hear it coming from slightly behind me as well as feeling it.

annunaki

annunaki

I agree ducker. Unless usuing 24db/octave slopes I stay below 80hz crossover points if possible. This is why knowing the -3db response is important. My system is set at 60hz and the bass is completely non-directional.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
ducker said:
Hm, I've recently tweeked my sub's crossover to 50Hz as I wanted it to be less directional. I love the result. Yet many times people state that you should have ti higher... like 60 or 80Hz... for me that provides too much directional SPL from the sub.
As my sub is located behind my couch, I'd rather hear the loud explosion and FEEL the rumble. With a higher crossover I hear it coming from slightly behind me as well as feeling it.
Might be your sub isnt in the best place if your noticing it that much at 60-80Hz.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
shokhead said:
Might be your sub isnt in the best place if your noticing it that much at 60-80Hz.
Couldn't that be kind of relative? My fronts put out decent lower frequencies. I'd rather not put my sub near them, or behind my entertainment center. The only place is really behind my couch/seating position.

I've read quite a few articles on how people are so used to placing the sub up at the front stage. Primarly because early subs were in fact often quite directional. As well as many subs still built today are quite directional.

I'm not suprised that my sub can be a bit directional, because it's listerally right behind my couch. I can touch it while sitting. Putting the crossover at 50Hz, puts it to the point where the output of the sub has very, if any direction, but still has its power.

my layout is here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9249&highlight=layout

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah large just means the speakers are capable, hk always does that if a speaker reaches 50 or below i think..

i like my crossover at 60-80 with all speakers at small. sub set with the mains..

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
another opinion

I have a very similar setup (all Klipsch Synergy) with a Pioneer Elite powering them. I went back and forth between the crossover at 50hz and 80hz dozens of times with different media. I finally settled on 80hz (all speakers set to small) because it just sounded cleaner to me. But of course, that is only my opinion in my place and based on what I like. I have a nice Velodyne sub and really like the sound of my system with it handling 80hz and lower. I have the sub next to the right main and not in the corner. Half the fun is experimenting until you find what works for you...I love spending an entire day messing with stuff just to see (hear) what is possible. Speaker placement was critical in my place...sometimes even little changes make a big difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis