What Should I Upgrade?

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I our bedroom, where I do most of my music listening, I have the following system that also acts as the computer sound. Like many of you, I am planning to upgrade (before the end of the year). I like to plan ahead, so my question is what would you upgrade in this system?

Sony CDP-CE500 (my newest item) CD player
Technical Pro PRE-B5050 preamp
AudiosSource Model Amp One/A power amp
Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers
Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer (only playing what the Polks can't)

By the end of the year, I should have between $250 to $350 to spend. Should I get an AVR? Should I get a better sub?

The preamp is actually designed for a DJ. It was the only one I could find at that time that was not a total cheapo (Pyle, Pyramid) or $400 (or more). I like how it sounds now, but I am enough of an audiophile to want better. I like the highs and mids of the Polks and the other speakers I sometimes use. Most of my listening is nearfield, about 29 inches from the speakers, which sit on stands on the back of a computer table, one behind the printer, one behind the PC tower, sub on the floor under the table. I know it is up to me; I just want to know what some of you would upgrade. Peace and goodwill.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What's lacking in the sound? Simply spending money because you can tends to produce less than desirable results.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
If I get a better sub, I can give my Sony sub to my college-aged son. He has the Boston Acoustics CS26, and he used to have the Polk Rti4's. He is a bass player after all. Peace and goodwill.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I wont touch the electronics for now.
Your both speakers and sub are lacking. Start with these speakers:
CBM-170 SE High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Next put aside about $500 to replace that "sub"
Thanks for the recommendation, but I doubt I would buy a bookshelf speaker I have not heard. To me $300 is a lot of money. The only things I have paid $500 or more for in the last 20 years was our house, a few vehicles, and my drum set. I know looks does not matter too much with speakers, but those CBM-170SE speakers look a bit like the Boston Acoustics CS26 speakers we have. Thanks again. Keep 'em coming. It is possible that I could change my mind. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis