What should I upgrade and how? $5k budget

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again all. Really appreciate the insights.

On topic of subwoofers, the local SVS PB12 isn't going to work out. Seller won't demo it.

Looking around and reading the forums, it seems like Hsu VTF15 MK2 or VTF3 MK5 have quite a bit of bang for the buck at around $1k. It was suggested I aim for $2k subs earlier. While I do have some flex in the budget, will the $2k range be that much better? I get bigger is (almost) always better, but I'm trying to resist that temptation and find that value point.

What would I miss out on if I bought a $1k sub instead of a $2k sub?
I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5s and I love them. You have a few different tuning options along with plenty of muscle. They can produce clean bass down to about 16 hz in my room with the eq 1 setting and lots of mid bass headroom for music with eq 2. I'm with Ryan in thinking they're about as good as it gets, bang for buck. Mine were under $1800 for both, shipped.

*Edit: For a bit more the VTF15 MK2 is a little more refined aesthetically and offers a tiny bit more deep bass, but both are very similar performance-wise. I'm pretty sure they use the same amp and driver in both.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis