G

Grey Ghost

Audioholic Intern
Guys,
I have to make some huge choices in my Home Theatre. I currently have a 5.1 set up right now and I am about to go 7.1 for which adding just one 2 channel amp. My main speakers being the Von Schweikert VR4 JR's are Bi-wireable. They are currently not wired that way. I have read that anybody who has these speakers has Bi-wired them for the best sound. I have a 3 channel B&K Ref 3220 which has 220 watts per channel and I have a Ref 2220 which also has 220 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Now I could buy the B&K ST 125.5 which has 125 watts x 5 channels which would allow me to run 125 watts into my lower bass unit of my VR4 JR's which are 4 ohms which would boost power to 185 watts I believe. Then I could hit the upper midrange tweater unit with 220 watts or should I switch it to run the bass unit with 220 watts then run the midrange tweater with only 125 watts. With this set up my main surrounds would recieve 220 watts per speaker and my last two effect speakers would only get 125 watts. Leaving me with one open channel. I could just buy two more 2 channel amps BUT two would add up more than the 5 channel I believe. What would you guys do?

Thanks again for your input!
Grey Ghost

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Bass uses far more power than treble. I would definately use the 220 for the lows, 125 for the highs.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would use 220 x 3 (fl-c-fr)
220 x 2 (fl-fr) for bi-amp, not bi-wire
125 x 5 (sur l, sur r, sb l&r or pr l&r) with one hanging.

Is there a four channel amp model?

The 220 is wasted on surround & surround back or presence. IMO

Last edited:
G

Grey Ghost

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input! Zumbo I have a Ref 50 by B&K...I am going to have the new upgrades done to it this summer. I love their equipment! I remember the first time I heard thier stuff. I was a big Yamaha fan and I was at High Fi buys listening to what I thought was a Yamaha reciever but it was a B&k Integrated amp/processor. He then switched over to the Yamaha and there was no comparision then we clicked on the Denon 5800 to compair and again to my ears and taste the B&K was in a different class. I think your idea about the by amping is a good one. I will run it by my speaker man. just to make sure its not too much power to give them.....

Grey Ghost

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Nice system. I bet they will love the power! Keep me posted! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis