What screen should i get?

O

orangebob87

Audiophyte
I have the Mitsubishi HD1000U and i am trying to decide what kind of a screen i will need to it. Thie projector has a resolution of 720p, 1500 lumens, and 2500:1 contrast ration. I mounting it on the ceiling at about 12 ft from the screen, which will be a 92" 16:9 screen. It will also be about only 7ft off the ground because it is located in my basement. Since this is in my basement i great light control and can almost completely block all of the light from my two small windows. What type of a screen should i buy. I am also looking for a cheaper manual screen, preferebly under $250. What should the gain be? should i get a gray or white screen? i was thinking gray. Is the Optoma DS-GWII9092P which is known as the GrayWolf II a good screen?

Thanks, Bobby

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
If you can control the light, then I would go with a white screen. Look for units by Draper or Dalite. You can get them in your price range. As for the GreyWolf, I have one in the 92" size that I am using with my Optoma HD72 DLP pj. My pj is ceiling mounted, also, about 11' back with the pj @ 7' to the center of the lens. The picture is good with blacks being nice and deep, but you lose the gain by ceiling mounting the pj. When I stand up, the picture gets much brighter. The GreyWolf will work better if you set the pj on a table. I don't mind losing the gain, as I think the pic is bright enough for now and the GW screens are cheap enough.

If I could use a fixed screen or would pay the big bucks, I would go with a High Contrast matte white...but I'm cheap;)

Edit: Check with ProjectorPeople and Visual Apex for great prices on screens. Their customer service is great, also!

You got yourself a nice pj, btw!

O

orangebob87

Audiophyte
Thanks, i have also been wondering what gain i should be looking for in a white matte screen, i know the range anywhere from around 0.6-2 so any ideas what would be best for a ceiling mounted projector with %99 light control.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I would go with a 1.0 to a 1.2, personally.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis