What Receiver should I buy.. also setup question.

R

Ryo_Ohki2

Audiophyte
Hello,
I am in the market for a new receiver. I took my system out of storage finally and trying to setup up my system. My Fosgate Model 5 has stop responding to the remote (doesn't turn on) so I'm needing to get a receiver. Considering the Fosgate is over 10 years old, it's about time. ;) (Great excuse for my wife.. hehe) Any case I need a receiver for the following equiment:

1. Martin Logan SL3 (Fronts)
2. Adcom GFA-5500 (for the Martin Logans)
3. NHT SuperOnes (Rears)
4. Klipsh Center Channel
5. Velodyne Subwoofer

First question is what receiver would you guys recommend that's under 3k, preferably under 2k. I'm trying to keep it to a lower value, but I know good receivers can be costly. I would like to get it with video inputs (component, svideo, or DVI), but it's really optional due to cost. I was looking at the Yamaha's RX-Z1 (just wish it has the YPAO like it does in the RX-Z9), and the RX-2500. Note I'm using it mostly for Movies, maybe some music and possibly games so I'm looking for very good Cinimatic sounds.. Recommend more than one if possible so I can explore my options, Thanks.

Okay, assuming I get a good reciever that has good output power (135W), I should still use my Adcom to power my fronts since they deliver 200W output per channel, right?

If the answer is yes then what about the connections for the front channels of the amplifier.. would they be wasted or can I hook something else there and make use of them?

Thanks for the help and recommendations.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
Ryo_Ohki2 said:
Hello,
I am in the market for a new receiver. I took my system out of storage finally and trying to setup up my system. My Fosgate Model 5 has stop responding to the remote (doesn't turn on) so I'm needing to get a receiver. Considering the Fosgate is over 10 years old, it's about time. ;) (Great excuse for my wife.. hehe) Any case I need a receiver for the following equiment:

1. Martin Logan SL3 (Fronts)
2. Adcom GFA-5500 (for the Martin Logans)
3. NHT SuperOnes (Rears)
4. Klipsh Center Channel
5. Velodyne Subwoofer

First question is what receiver would you guys recommend that's under 3k, preferably under 2k. I'm trying to keep it to a lower value, but I know good receivers can be costly. I would like to get it with video inputs (component, svideo, or DVI), but it's really optional due to cost. I was looking at the Yamaha's RX-Z1 (just wish it has the YPAO like it does in the RX-Z9), and the RX-2500. Note I'm using it mostly for Movies, maybe some music and possibly games so I'm looking for very good Cinimatic sounds.. Recommend more than one if possible so I can explore my options, Thanks.

Okay, assuming I get a good reciever that has good output power (135W), I should still use my Adcom to power my fronts since they deliver 200W output per channel, right?

If the answer is yes then what about the connections for the front channels of the amplifier.. would they be wasted or can I hook something else there and make use of them?

Thanks for the help and recommendations.
What is your budget? I believe this will be the biggest factor in your decision. Since you already have amps, why not look for a pre-amp processor? You might consider the Outlaw.

If you want a receiver as a pre-amp the Yamaha 2500 is a great unit. However I don't believe you can assign the amps to other channels in this unit. The only receiver I'm aware of that has this option and isn't to pricey is the Denon 3805.

Good Luck with your update.

R

Ryo_Ohki2

Audiophyte
Budget under 2k if possible, 3k tops. Just bought a big screen TV so a bit strapped for cash. Pre Amp won't work for me since I don't have a amplifier for my rears or center channel. The other Adcom amp (was for the rears) out it's transistors and resistors and I don't want to have to fix it again since it was a old amp and I really don't have the time to probe it again (too many components to change when I first worked on it).

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
You may want to look at products by H/K, Denon, or Yamaha. The Adcom you have should definately be used to run the electrostatics, as they dip to around 2 ohms if I'm not mistaken. Let us know what you decide.

R

Ryo_Ohki2

Audiophyte
Hey Crashguy,
I think I read a previous post you use to own a Denon, but changed to a Yamaha RX2500 because you wanted to try something different. Which one did you like better between the two, if you don't mind me asking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis