What order should i use to crossover my sub?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I have a tc sounds lms 18" in a 7ft3 ported box tuned@ 20hz. I have the HPF (subsonic filter) set at 17hz and the LPF set at 83hz. My question is what slope should I use on each of these? And BW or LR?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Cameron,
Can you respond to a couple of questions for me?
Why don't you capitalize proper nouns like "TC Sounds"?
Do you hale from the US?
What do you mean by BW and LR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BW is probably Butterworth, LR = Linkwitz Riley?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I am from the US but get used to using my phone and don't capitalize on my phone. Yes loveinthehd you are right. Can someone help me with which slope I should use on my sub and MBM's? 2nd order 4th order? I have no clue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am from the US but get used to using my phone and don't capitalize on my phone. Yes loveinthehd you are right. Can someone help me with which slope I should use on my sub and MBM's? 2nd order 4th order? I have no clue.
Like I said, haven't messed with one but what slopes are the filters for the sub and speakers you're going to meld the MBM with?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
The slopes for the LCR and surrounds are unknown... (being taken care of by the avr) at 80hz HPF. My sub has a HPF (subsonic filter) of 17hz and LPF of 83hz. I have the sub set with a 4th order BW crossover on both the LPF and the HPF. So what slope should I set the sub at and then also the MBM's? I am noteven sure on the subs but what slope should I use and why?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a tc sounds lms 18" in a 7ft3 ported box tuned@ 20hz. I have the HPF (subsonic filter) set at 17hz and the LPF set at 83hz. My question is what slope should I use on each of these? And BW or LR?
Receivers use second order LR high pass and fourth order LR low pass. If you are doing DIY this is not written in stone, so measurements and the acoustic response of the units has a bearing on what is best. The problem with AVRs is that they are one size fits all which in any scheme like that is ends up being one size fits none.

LR are constant voltage and have a lower Q with a 6 db dip in driver response at crossover. Butterworth is constant power and has a relatively high Q around 0.7 and so is under damped. The drivers are down 3 db at crossover so you are more likely to get a peak at crossover. However any crossover is always the sum of the electrical slopes and the drivers acoustic responses. So any design has to be integrated for optimal results. This is where critical listening combined with measurements is invaluable.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I am going to bite the bullet and get a mic. I already have the mini dsp. I don't have amps for my LCR's and surrounds. (5.1) setup. So I have to use the AVR for now right? Would you recommend BW or LR for my crossover for my sub and MBM's and also what slope should I use. Thank you TLS Guy!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am going to bite the bullet and get a mic. I already have the mini dsp. I don't have amps for my LCR's and surrounds. (5.1) setup. So I have to use the AVR for now right? Would you recommend BW or LR for my crossover for my sub and MBM's and also what slope should I use. Thank you TLS Guy!
You might as well do the same as a receiver. See above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis