What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I recently bought a LOT of wallpaper stripper, 24lbs of joint compound to fix horsehair plaster walls after stripping, some 9 different gallons of paint, lots of paint rollers, a few good brushes, a new ceiling fan, new carpeting, and was gifted a few of my professional artist brother's nice oil-on-canvas paintings to decorate the "Jeweled Peach" walls. Still a few more little things to buy, add, and/or make for the room, but 90% or better where I wanted to be.
View attachment 61492
Ken looks fantastic! Enjoy!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I recently bought a LOT of wallpaper stripper, 24lbs of joint compound to fix horsehair plaster walls after stripping, some 9 different gallons of paint, lots of paint rollers, a few good brushes, a new ceiling fan, new carpeting, and was gifted a few of my professional artist brother's nice oil-on-canvas paintings to decorate the "Jeweled Peach" walls. Still a few more little things to buy, add, and/or make for the room, but 90% or better where I wanted to be.
View attachment 61492
Yeah man. Looking fabulous!

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
A bit of background. Having recently retired I've been reviving my hifi. It had mostly stayed the same since around 1992. I had dug my old vinyls out of the garage and found a place to set up the turntable. I got a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge for it.

I few years ago I got a Bose Soundtouch link to connect my computer music library to the old Adcom preamp.

But recently I noticed two things. 1: The Bose frequently went off-line whether in it's native mode or when using Apple Airplay from iTunes. I found this very annoying. 2: The Adcom started to show some age. When using the balance one side would just go totally dead. I had to keep it slightly off balance for both speakers to play.

So I started to search for a solution to both the streaming of my library and the old Adcom preamp.

A week ago I got a NAD C 658 BluOS Streaming DAC Preamplifier

After pulling my hair out for 12 hours over the lack of clear instruction on linking it to my music library and finally getting it right after determining that the instructions are actually wrong, it's working perfectly.

The sound I'm getting is definitely superior to what I had been getting with the Adcom and the Bose. And I'm delighted with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A bit of background. Having recently retired I've been reviving my hifi. It had mostly stayed the same since around 1992. I had dug my old vinyls out of the garage and found a place to set up the turntable. I got a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge for it.

I few years ago I got a Bose Soundtouch link to connect my computer music library to the old Adcom preamp.

But recently I noticed two things. 1: The Bose frequently went off-line whether in it's native mode or when using Apple Airplay from iTunes. I found this very annoying. 2: The Adcom started to show some age. When using the balance one side would just go totally dead. I had to keep it slightly off balance for both speakers to play.

So I started to search for a solution to both the streaming of my library and the old Adcom preamp.

A week ago I got a NAD C 658 BluOS Streaming DAC Preamplifier

After pulling my hair out for 12 hours over the lack of clear instruction on linking it to my music library and finally getting it right after determining that the instructions are actually wrong, it's working perfectly.

The sound I'm getting is definitely superior to what I had been getting with the Adcom and the Bose. And I'm delighted with it.
FWIW you might be able to clean the balance control with something like a Deoxit control cleaner on the old preamp....

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
FWIW you might be able to clean the balance control with something like a Deoxit control cleaner on the old preamp....
Thanks. And sell it maybe. But it has nostalgic value to me too. A quick search I see that the selling price of a used unit is about $200-$500. Not bad.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. And sell it maybe. But it has nostalgic value to me too. A quick search I see that the selling price of a used unit is about $200-$500. Not bad.
Or just fix it and use it, still well functioning otherwise hopefully....

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Or just fix it and use it, still well functioning otherwise hopefully....
Well, I have no use for it now. I'm sure one of my sons will ask for it some day.

It can sit with the other unused components. But I will need to rearrange things because small slim things like this are on top. Another component I loved at one time but now have no use for. I used to have a lot of things attached to the stereo and this was really the heart of it. There are a lot of unused and old components around here.

2023 04 18 20 09 22.jpg

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
These are arriving today - got a good price from our Amazonian overlords. My AKG N400’s left earbud won’t charge, and therefore won’t connect/play. A shame, really as they sound utterly fantastic. I was going to see if I could purchase another pair ($50 from the AKG site was a screaming deal) but they have been discontinued. In-the-know sellers are charging a premium so I’m going a new direction. I’ve read some good reviews on the Technics and thought I would give them a try at 1/2 off…
1682175720776.png

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Also arriving today, courtesy of Bezos:
The Fragile: Deviations 1 https://a.co/d/1zQH2ds
1682176911499.png

Instrumental versions of my fav NIN album, which is great because I love the music, not necessarily Trent’s (sometimes) whiny voice. Now if they would do the same for Halsey’s latest… Anyway, this one is vinyl only, not available streaming.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Got me one of these today.

This is the most impressive Bluetooth speaker I've heard. The amount of bass this little thing is capable of is quite impressive. It is heavy though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

This is the most impressive Bluetooth speaker I've heard. The amount of bass this little thing is capable of is quite impressive. It is heavy though.
Curious, what's your use for such?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

I've been very impressed with the Extreme 2 I bought last year. My only complaint is that there isn't any EQ feature to adjust some of that Bass. Even the Extreme 2 seems a touch bloaty at times.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I've been preparing for my iPod Classic 7th Gen 160gb drive to start acting up. It doesn't go out anymore. It stays on my bed for reading in bed music. In just the last 2 weeks I've hit it's storage limit and need to prune what I put on it.

About 2 months ago I got this Fiio M11S. I'd give it 4.5 stars. It gets dinged for battery life.

I wanted a dedicated music player.

I wanted really good sound, wired capability, MicroSD slot, tactile controls so that I don't need to take it out of my pocket or turn around in bed to control it, but also strong music sorting. A good DAC of course. FLAC and ALAC capability.

Battery life is disappointing but that seems to be standard these days for higher end players. 14 hours. My iPod Classic in it's prime could do 18 hours, close to 24 hours when I used my powered headphones instead of having the iPod power the headphones. But I'm unlikely to be away from at least a battery pack charger for long.

The supplied ap is good. It does what it needs to do to show my music correctly and sensibly.. I would suggest a few ergonomic changes to the software. But it's an Android so there are lots of other music aps out there.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've been very impressed with the Extreme 2 I bought last year. My only complaint is that there isn't any EQ feature to adjust some of that Bass. Even the Extreme 2 seems a touch bloaty at times.
That's what I like about this one. It's got an EQ app that works pretty well so far.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Curious, what's your use for such?
Basically I use it when I do anything outdoors and want to listen to music. It can be subtle, or it can be loud as hell.

I had considered doing outdoor speakers connected to another system, but I just don't really want to mess with it considering the amount of effort it would actually take. This is much easier and more portable till I figure out something more permanent. The SQ of this thing is much higher than I expected and if I get a second one they let you do stereo pairs. It'd be difficult to recreate that with outdoor speakers. At least the ones I've heard.

I got a deal at $90 off a refurbished unit. Got a 2 year warranty for $20 so if it craps out, I'm covered.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's what I like about this one. It's got an EQ app that works pretty well so far.
Ah! Iv’e been seriously impressed with what I have, and wanted something smallish for ease of transport. My complaint about it is pretty minor and not too bad. It would be nice if they extended that EQ to other products!!!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ah! Iv’e been seriously impressed with what I have, and wanted something smallish for ease of transport. My complaint about it is pretty minor and not too bad. It would be nice if they extended that EQ to other products!!!!
Hmm. The release notes have your model in them. I wonder if only certain speakers get the EQ feature?

Download the JBL Portable app to get the most out of your JBL portable speakers and unlock more features.
Compatible with the following speakers:
- Flip 6, Flip 5, Flip 4, Flip 3
- Charge 5, Charge 4, Charge 3
- Pulse 5, Pulse 4, Pulse 3, Pulse 2
- Xtreme 3, Xtreme 2, Xtreme
- Boombox 3, Boombox 2, Boombox

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hmm. The release notes have your model in them. I wonder if only certain speakers get the EQ feature?

Download the JBL Portable app to get the most out of your JBL portable speakers and unlock more features.
Compatible with the following speakers:
- Flip 6, Flip 5, Flip 4, Flip 3
- Charge 5, Charge 4, Charge 3
- Pulse 5, Pulse 4, Pulse 3, Pulse 2
- Xtreme 3, Xtreme 2, Xtreme
- Boombox 3, Boombox 2, Boombox
I think that's the case. I do have the app installed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis