What kind of JBL etc. bookshelves?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
What model JBL, Harmon , Revel bookshelve speakers would you recommend, under $2000, for front speakers with a sub? I listen to 90% music.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can't go wrong with anything from Revel. I wish Harman would do something more with Infinity. Maybe a improved line of Primus speakers or high-end speakers like Infinity used to make. You might also look at a pair of JBL LSR4328 if you want to stick with something from Harman in that budget range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I listened to the Revel M106 I believe it was, maybe 105, and they were excellent.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you bought the BMR's, you wouldn't need to bother with a sub for music.
Well, you have a point. But some with preference for music listening still use a powered sub. I am one of them. John mentioned the Philharmonitors which is an excellent choice. But, since the OP specified under 2K I recommended the BMR's as well. There are lots of folks that don't use a sub when listening to music. So you do have a point here.

Cheers,

Phil

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
depends entirely on the music you listen too.
I have the New Phils. (That photo on DM's website is mine actually.)

For music, I recommend the BMR's because they go lower with a 7" woofer rather than the 5.5", plus it dispenses with the mess of sub integration/inconvenience and placement.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have the New Phils. (That photo on DM's website is mine actually.)

For music, I recommend the BMR's because they go lower with a 7" woofer rather than the 5.5", plus it dispenses with the mess of sub integration/inconvenience and placement.
I can only say I would not be happy with such speakers without at least a couple of serious subs to back them up. Much of the music I listen to has a lot of low frequency energy.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I can only say I would not be happy with such speakers without at least a couple of serious subs to back them up. Much of the music I listen to has a lot of low frequency energy.
I like my bass too. Especially, the kick drums! Want it ti hit in a dime and stop on a dime. Tight and punchy just the way I like it! Oh yeah!

Cheers,

Phil

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
As much as I love bass when appropriate, there are some songs/recordings that I play in which there is too much bass. To each their own!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis