What is TOSLINK optical

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I would like to connect my IMAC to my Pioneer SC 27 receiver. My IMAC has a optical audio port and I checked on monoprice and they are selling TOSLINK optical cables...

Is this just a name and will they work?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Toslink is Toshiba's brand name for the connector on the end of the optical cable and also the name of the optical signaling scheme (how ones and zeros are represented as light pulses).

All that to say...yes that is the cable you need.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Toslink is Toshiba's brand name for the connector on the end of the optical cable and also the name of the optical signaling scheme (how ones and zeros are represented as light pulses).

All that to say...yes that is the cable you need.
actually i just checked and that optical cable plug wont fit into the IMAC... the IMAC optical in is taking and RCA type plug... but it's labelled as optical????

any idea what i would need to hook up the puter to the SC 27 pioneer so I can listen to Itunes through my receiver?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
actually i just checked and that optical cable plug wont fit into the IMAC... the IMAC optical in is taking and RCA type plug... but it's labelled as optical????
Well, apparently Apple is using a 'mini jack' and you need an adapter to convert one end of the toslink optical cable to fit in the iMac. I don't know if such adapters can be bought separately but here is a link to the apple store with an optical cable that comes with the adapter included:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TL955LL/A?n=audio_cable&fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDk5MjQ&s=topSellers#overview

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a monoprice mini-toslink to toslink (15 ft) and it works perfectly. Just dont forget to take the covers off each end :D

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
yea... seems kind of intuitive to get an adapter with a regular toslink when I could get a mini toslink that does the job... this way I wont lose the adapter :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis