What is this? Car audio drivers in ceiling?

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Hi guys,

So aside from trying to optimise my room, plan a DIY subwoofer, and plan future speaker upgrades I've also been on the lookout for some in ceiling speakers in the hopes I might eventually add atmos to my system.

Well today I found an interesting advert. (don't know if I can or should post a link here and it's in Polish anyway)

But the advert was for 'in ceiling speakers' by focal. Looks good I think, but no model number so I check the pics and see focal auditor RSE-165.

So I do a Google check for reviews and all I find are car related content. I checked focals website and sure enough these are car audio drivers.

But in the pics they looked just like in ceiling speakers. So I rechecked the adverts and it turns out that this 'company' is getting refurbished drivers fitting them into a ceiling mount with grill and selling them for home audio lmao.

They aren't trying to hide the fact, they state that for the cost these are better than the equivalent priced in ceiling options and that the high sensitivity makes them useable in home audio etc etc..

My first instinct is that anything designed for a car isn't going to work in a home, but I must admit I'm a little intrigued as they are low profile so would fit my lowered ceiling without me having to modify anything, either way it's certainly audacious of them!

Any thoughts on this?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are car sub drivers that can work in a home subwoofer, but not all. The Focals could possibly work, not familiar with them myself. It wouldn't be just sensitivity particularly, but higher sensitivity wouldn't hurt. If they can get to the desired spl levels at the distance needed. You might query Focal directly for their thoughts.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
There are car sub drivers that can work in a home subwoofer, but not all. The Focals could possibly work, not familiar with them myself. It wouldn't be just sensitivity particularly, but higher sensitivity wouldn't hurt. If they can get to the desired spl levels at the distance needed. You might query Focal directly for their thoughts.
Thats not a bad idea actually, it can't hurt to ask.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis