What is the temperature of your listening room?

D

docferdie

Audioholic
We've had a lot of discussion on equipment and room treatments but one topic which I feel has not received much attention is room temperature. The last mile line for audio enjoyment so to speak is the air in the room because that is what carries the audio information to our ears for processing. When the room is too hot I feel that music doesn't sound as good. I am not aware of any studies looking for the ideal temperature but I believe this would be pretty interesting to discuss.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
I like my room to be within the 26-28 degree C temp range (according to the aircon readout). If i recall right, i did come accross an article that claims differences in the speed of sound at various temperatures and altitudes above sea level. The extreme freezing climate and high altitude can make the speed less, right? But I think such conditions can hardly be conducive to survival, let alone listening. :D And if the room were any hotter than my preference, listening to music would be the last thing on my mind. In the frist place, I'd be wary of the survival of my amps in such a clime. And my physical comfort would come first before I start tuning my brain to accept sound waves. In other wods, the room conditions have to be comfortably right before I can indulge in this hobby.

Last edited:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Hi Fi News and Record Review U.K. in their test of Monitor Audio Gold speakers found out that they ran better in a temperature controlled enviroment and had to be warmed in a room with ambient temp of 30c to sound their best. They attributed this phenomenon to the spekaers' design of using metal alloys for their drivers.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
My mordaunt shorts also use metal drivers but I don't think I can listen at 30c. That's the temp I start to perspire without doing anything.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
av_phile said:
I like my room to be within the 26-28 degree C temp range (according to the aircon readout). If i recall right, i did come accross an article that claims differences in the speed of sound at various temperatures and altitudes above sea level. The extreme freezing climate and high altitude can make the speed less, right?

The speed of sound is directly related to the density of the material is travels through, except an ideal gas, where temperature is the driving factor. Since we are not listening while we have our head under water (well most people on this site anyway) , we should pay attention to acoustic impedance. Since no household room has perfect isothermal conditions, there are going to be boundries (temperature variations). Uniform isothermal conditions have uniform acoustic impedances. Variations in temperature (it takes less than 1 degree C) creat different impedance zones where reflections occur. (We use acoustic impedance all the time when performing ultrasonic testing. When testing, we want these reflections, and use them to find or not find imperfections.) When these reflections occur in air, the original sound wave is attenuated and what you hear can sound muddy (at the extremes). It took a long time to say that the actual base temperature of your listening environment is not as important as temperature uniformity.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
It's not the temp, it's the humidity that matters! :p

Shinerman

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Yamahaluver said:
Hi Fi News and Record Review U.K. in their test of Monitor Audio Gold speakers found out that they ran better in a temperature controlled enviroment and had to be warmed in a room with ambient temp of 30c to sound their best. They attributed this phenomenon to the spekaers' design of using metal alloys for their drivers.
HFNRR is about as credible as The Absolute Sound and Stereophool.

That said, I have genetically re-engineered my physiology to function in a pressurized atmosphere roughly comparable to that of Saturn, and have recreated those conditions in my listening room. Klaatu borado nikto!

But really, if it's the humidity that matters I oughta be in audio heaven. Here in MI and throughout the soggy East when it hasn't been raining it has been hazy and sticky humid. Enough already!! I think I'm gettin' mildew in my ears!

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I usually keep my listening room at or around.....ROOM TEMPERATURE! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis