What is quiet torture?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm on the forum here, and when I click the Back button, nothing happens. I have to hit it again to be taken to the last page. When I click on the arrow beside the Back button to see what the last page was, it shows it as "http://www.quiettorture.com/". So I have to click Back twice to get anywhere.

When a page on this forum is opening up, I can see at the bottom of my screen all the things that are loading up for that page, and sure enough, quiettorture.com is among them.

I typed in the above address into my Google search bar, but the page wouldn't open.

I thought it might be a virus or something on my computer, but it happens only when I'm on this forum, and not on any other. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know what quiettorture.com is (other than the obvious, I mean)?

cheers,
supervij

Matt34

Matt34

This is what I get when hitting the back button:

Google
Error

Not Found
The requested URL /hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe was not found on this server.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic

I'm on the forum here, and when I click the Back button, nothing happens. I have to hit it again to be taken to the last page...

Yeah, this started a couple days ago for me as well. I was confused since this is the only site that's doing it. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall

I'm on the forum here, and when I click the Back button, nothing happens. I have to hit it again to be taken to the last page. When I click on the arrow beside the Back button to see what the last page was, it shows it as "http://www.quiettorture.com/". So I have to click Back twice to get anywhere.

When a page on this forum is opening up, I can see at the bottom of my screen all the things that are loading up for that page, and sure enough, quiettorture.com is among them.

I typed in the above address into my Google search bar, but the page wouldn't open.

I thought it might be a virus or something on my computer, but it happens only when I'm on this forum, and not on any other. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know what quiettorture.com is (other than the obvious, I mean)?

cheers,
supervij
I'm having the exact experience. I did a virus check and found nothing. Right now if I hover over the back button it shows "Back to http://www.quiettorture.com"

It's making me paranoid, but my virus scan,updated software today, finds nothing.

Jack

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I've noticed that too the last few days, but never noticed what it said in the previous page history. I tried specifically opening the quiettorture page and it doesn't exist, and there's no record for the site on the arin.whois database.

Very strange, but it seems like an attempt to hijack data.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
My back button works ok and I don't get that statement you guys are getting but "forums" no longer appears in my header bar to enter in and I have to use the search function to get to the forums. Also I can't back out of a post to the forum, I have to click onto one of the headings in the forum header and go forward. The forum works a little different for me in the past couple of days. Go figure.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Mtrycrafts had the same problem last night and we were talking about it. It has all the earmarks of a malicious add-on commonly known as a browser hi-jack.

It is using Google to load pages with various ad keywords. The search string for Google was something like quiettorture.com/adbrite.html. The site does not exist so Google returns a search result of all pages that have quiettorture in them. Mtrycrafts also had gungauge as one of the sites. The URL and keyword should be different every time it happens.

You can look at the loaded add-ons to see if one of them is the culprit and disable or delete it but I suggested http://www.lavasoft.com Ad-Aware and that seemed to do the trick to get rid of it.

Is there any way it's on our end? Or is everyone simply hit by the same hijack bug all at once?

I just want to make sure something didn't "infect" vBulletin...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Is there any way it's on our end? Or is everyone simply hit by the same hijack bug all at once?

I just want to make sure something didn't "infect" vBulletin...
Well, I have experienced this only at AH.

Matt34

Matt34

This is the url I'm getting along with the previously posted text.(Spaced the http apart so it wouldn't link) I am only experiencing this at AH too.

h t t p://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

cheers,
supervij
Don't feel bad. I had this start on Monday afternoon. But, I had it worse. My browser would go to a Gateway page indicating that this address cannot be found. I solved that with help from MDS by disabling CBrowserhelper in the Manage Add-ons under the tools.
Now, I don't have the Gateway page but am experiencing the need to double click on backpaging at time and do see this quiettorture link and something like gunguage.com as well.

I guess, the name is appropriate. This is QUIET TORTURE for sure.:D

And, it is only happening here at AH, so far. Virus scan is not helping nor is that ADAware tool, it seems.
So, I think it is something at the site here that was hacked.:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This is the url I'm getting along with the previously posted text.(Spaced the http apart so it wouldn't link) I am only experiencing this at AH too.

h t t p://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm
As I posted, by browser went to the Gateway page every time I opened a page here until I disabled that CBrowserhelper but now I see that I have to click pack page several times on a number of pages before it moves.:eek:

Oh, well, at least I see I am not alone.:rolleyes:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not being redirected anywhere, but I also have to click the back button a few times to go back.

Jack

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan

That URL is non-sensical and is further proof to me that this is an annoying virus. The first part before the ? will link to a Google search engine on a Dell website. The query part with s=res://xxx is saying to find the page dnserrordiagoff.htm that is a resouce inside the ieframe.dll on that Dell machine. Unless that machine is misconfigured badly it won't have access to the ieframe.dll on its local disk.

The search will result in a navigation failure and windows will use whatever is configured as the default search engine or default error page for navigation failures. That is why with some of these urls you get a search page with results that match whatever the keyword was in the s= part of the query.

Virus writers are are sometimes very clever but super annoying.

Matt34

Matt34

That URL is non-sensical and is further proof to me that this is an annoying virus. The first part before the ? will link to a Google search engine on a Dell website. The query part with s=res://xxx is saying to find the page dnserrordiagoff.htm that is a resouce inside the ieframe.dll on that Dell machine. Unless that machine is misconfigured badly it won't have access to the ieframe.dll on its local disk.

The search will result in a navigation failure and windows will use whatever is configured as the default search engine or default error page for navigation failures. That is why with some of these urls you get a search page with results that match whatever the keyword was in the s= part of the query.

Virus writers are are sometimes very clever but super annoying.
That was on my work computer so "misconfigured badly" could be a viable option.;)

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I just ran asquared and a virus scan, plus registry mechanic, no problems on my end, but I do have to hit back twice. And as was mentioned by others it shows in the history that the page I'm double backing from is quiettorture.com. To me it sounds like another website trying to highjack information, don't seem to have any problems with the main part of the site, but never tried anything in the store part of the site.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I have the problem, only in AH.
In internet explorer: the pull down menu next to the back button. it shows the last few pages you've visited; it shows the link- http://www.quiettorture.com
As the last page; so the back button has to be hit twice.
I've run Spy Sweeper and Norton, and it shows nothing.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I have the problem, only in AH.
In internet explorer: the pull down menu next to the back button. it shows the last few pages you've visited; it shows the link- http://www.quiettorture.com
As the last page; so the back button has to be hit twice.
I've run Spy Sweeper and Norton, and it shows nothing.
Ditto for me, i have to click back twice to get it to work, did scan with spybot and my antivirus and its clear.:confused:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't had this problem using Mozilla Firefox or the PS3.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis