What is needed to calibrate a PJ?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering what is needed to calibrate a PJ? Do you need a computer or just the PJ's remote?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most often you can run through with some calibration images from a Blu-ray Disc player. I believe there are also images out there you can use with a PC connected, but you want a RED and a BLUE filter to properly ensure the colors are accurate, so they have to be calibration grade filters. Those filters come with Blu-ray calibration discs.

I use the Disney WOW! disc for basic calibration...
https://www.amazon.com/World-Wonder-Blu-ray-Wow/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ZVYWFS9ZF4R0&keywords=blu+ray+calibration+disc&qid=1556381918&s=gateway&sprefix=blu-ray+calibration,aps,122&sr=8-1

There are other options that are solid on Amazon and eBay as well. I believe all the HD discs are Blu-ray format even when listed as 'DVD'.

True calibration requires a product like a Spyder5Pro to read colors and contrast levels accurately and are a pretty significant investment of time and money.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most of us just use the remote control to adjust the Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Sharpness. :D

I usually follow the advice of Projectorreviews.com on the calibration settings.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Most projectors look decent right out of the box. You can use your eyes and a calibration disc for basic black level, white level, and lens settings. The color filters are nice but you rarely need to adjust color or tint anymore. This will get you at least 80% of the way to the best your picture will ever look, maybe 90%.

If you want a picture that truly conforms to rec 709 and BT 2020 color spaces and SDR and HDR gray scales/tone mapping, you'll need to bring in a professional calibrator and pay him $500 or so for his time and expertise. I think it's well worth it for a mid range projector and up ($3000+) to get the best out of your equipment and setup. You're not going to be able to do this yourself. The measuring equipment alone is far more expensive than that, much less the expertise to use it. The results are amazing though, with custom curves and calibration settings for each signal type and projection mode. I settled on 3 modes: SDR (rec 709),SDR 2020 (SDR with wide color), and HDR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis