What is MultiChannel

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
I came across a Receiver that has Multichannel input jacks. Can anyone please explain what they are used for and what DVD's have this capapility? I imagine it is for a DVD.

Is it really worth it?

Thanks,

U

Unregistered

They are for connecting the multi-channel outs of a dvd-audio or sacd player. With the exception of a few proprietary solutions (like Denon-link) you must use 6 analog outputs from a dvd-a or sacd player to get mult-channel sound and those inputs on the receiver are for that purpose.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
Is it worth while? Or does it sound the same as a normal DVD player?

Completely different software (or at least mastering). For instance, you can't get a DVD that has a multichannel mix of Nora Jones' Come Away With Me album, but you can find it on SACD.

An additional note - non-proprietary IEEE 1394 (Firewire) for digitally transmitting multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD tracks to receivers is becoming much more popular and available.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
hawke said:
Completely different software (or at least mastering). For instance, you can't get a DVD that has a multichannel mix of Nora Jones' Come Away With Me album, but you can find it on SACD.

An additional note - non-proprietary IEEE 1394 (Firewire) for digitally transmitting multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD tracks to receivers is becoming much more popular and available.
Thanks, a little confused though... So are you saying that some DVD's use different software's for playback?

How does the IEEE work? I imagine it is one cable instead of 5???

Thanks,

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
Multichannel input/output is used for equipment without ilink connections. Lets say you have a DVD player without ilink but it is capable of playing SACD or DVD AUDIO. You will use the multichannel output of the DVD player and connect it to the multichannel input of the receiver. By doing this you will get the 5.1 multichannel music from SACD's and DVD AUDIO. Keep in mind very few receivers is equipped with multichannel input.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
Happy:

Thanks for the explination (and every one else). What happens to the receivers that are 7.1? I guess this would be obsolete?

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
If the receiver is 7.1 that is not a problem, just don't use the extra ports. If you go to Denon's website and look at the rear panel of a 5900 or a 3910 universal DVD player, the outputs are only 5.1. Go purchase a DVD Audio, the labels say 5.1.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
happy540i said:
If the receiver is 7.1 that is not a problem, just don't use the extra ports. If you go to Denon's website and look at the rear panel of a 5900 or a 3910 universal DVD player, the outputs are only 5.1. Go purchase a DVD Audio, the labels say 5.1.
OK.. If the receiver is 7.1 and the DVD player is 5.1 isn't there 2 channels missing?

U

Unregistered

No the receiver is capable of playing back 7.1 but that doesn't mean you have to use all 7 channels. First there are no discrete 7.1 sources (DVD, cable, etc) - 7.1 is derived from 2 channel or 5.1/6.1 (with PLIIx).

You can use the 5.1 multi-channel ins to connect a dvd/dvd-a/sacd player and playback in 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 or even downmixed to 2 channel if you like. More and more new receivers are starting to include 7.1 inputs as a nod to the possibility of using them in the future.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
Thanks!!!

I am thinking in investing in a Yamaha RX V2400. What DVD player do you recommend? I am looking into a changer. I like the Sony 400disc DVD player. Only problem is that I need a multiZone (I live in Mexico).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis