What is HDMI, do I need it? Should I have it?

HP666

HP666

Enthusiast
Sorry, but I am just old school and ignorant. I am in the market for a new receiver and I'm not sure what to do about this whole HDMI thing. I really don't even understand it. I do plan on getting a nice HDTV and all that, but does that mean I have to use the HDMI? I know this is a big task, but could you guys maybe explain all this to me? Thanks.

HP666

HP666

Enthusiast
HP666 said:
Sorry, but I am just old school and ignorant. I am in the market for a new receiver and I'm not sure what to do about this whole HDMI thing. I really don't even understand it. I do plan on getting a nice HDTV and all that, but does that mean I have to use the HDMI? I know this is a big task, but could you guys maybe explain all this to me? Thanks.
Thank you guys very much. Let me ask a simple question. Say I buy a plasma TV, get Direct TV HD, hook up my surround sound system. Can I watch TV/Movies in HD and listen to music in surround and have it look and sound great without using HDMI?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Your receiver absolutely does not need HDMI. There are few advantages to using HDMI on a receiver, none of which are a big deal:

1) Lets you maybe eliminate a cable or two
2) Lets you hook up multiple HDMI sources to a TV with only one HDMI input

It's almost a necessity to have HDMI on your display, though. Quality upconverting DVD players only upconvert over HDMI. Many cable boxes output a superior picture via HDMI than they do via component. Future high-definition content may only be watchable via HDMI thanks to digital copy protection.

Thankfully, the vast majority of current HDTVs will have HDMI inputs, so you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

Generally, here's the setup:

Upconverting DVD player hooked to HDTV via HDMI cable and to receiver (for audio) via optical or digital coax.

DirecTV HD box hooked to HDTV via HDMI cable and to receiver via optical or digital coax. You may need an inexpensive HDMI switch if your TV only has one HDMI input, or you may use component cables for video instead of HDMI.

You can watch TV and movies and listen to music in surround sound without HDMI. HDMI is primarily a video cable at the current point in time because HDMI is not very prevalent on receivers. In the future, more receivers will have HDMI ports built in, allowing you to eliminate the separate optical and digital coax audio cables, but in the meantime it's not a worry.

Also note: HDCP-enabled DVI is equivalent to HDMI. They are physically compatible. Only difference is that DVI inputs cannot accept audio. However, having an HDCP-enabled DVI input on your TV is really the equivalent to having an HDMI input.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, on a more basic note, HDMI is a cable that carries digital video *and* audio. However, many people, like myself, use HDMI as a video-only cable to get video to the TV, and use a separate audio connection (optical or digital coax) to get audio to the receiver.

HDMI also supports HDCP, which is a copy prevention mechanism. Analog component cables do not support this, and at some point in the future, certain video broadcasts or HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs may not transmit high definition content over any connection that does not have HDCP. This is why having a TV with an HDCP-supported input is important. HDMI automatically supports HDCP, whereas DVI does not. Many DVI connections do.. some do not. Make sure to check before you purchase a TV.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis