what is a good SPL meter?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
I want to buy an SPL meter to test some different subs... Where can I get a decent one for this purpose? How does one go about testing the SPL levels as well? I have a bass mekanik cd that does 10hz to 100hz in 5 second intervals. Will that work?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Radio Shack SPL meters are what most people use, but there are other brands that are available. You can use it to level channels for HT use and you can also use it to measure max SPL.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't if it's true for all SPL meters, but I believe that my Radio Shack analog SPL meter requires that a correction factor be applied as a function of frequency in order to get the correct measurements (there is more correction applied at lower frequencies, due to the capability of the built-in mic, I believe).

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I don't if it's true for all SPL meters, but I believe that my Radio Shack analog SPL meter requires that a correction factor be applied as a function of frequency in order to get the correct measurements (there is more correction applied at lower frequencies, due to the capability of the built-in mic, I believe).
That's correct, and as a rough measurement it will work fine. If you want something more detailed, grab a microphone (purchase with calibration measurements) and use some software like Room EQ Wizard. That's what I use to set my crossover frequencies, and subwoofer setup.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Could someone point me in the direction of a decent one at radio shack?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Could someone point me in the direction of a decent one at radio shack?
I my experience (my 1st SPL was a Radio Shack analog), the digital meters are much easier to read.

Most of the SPL meters under $100 MSRP are more limited on the bandwidth like from 125Hz-8kHz, and accuracy is +/-2dB, increments 0.5dB.

The Sinometer on Amazon retail @ $200, price @ $88. Bandwidth is 31.5Hz-8.5kHz, accuracy is +/-1.5dB, increments 0.1dB.

Sinometer JTS1357 Digital Sound Level Meter: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

I think it's worth the extra $30. The one I bought from Radio Shack was $60+ tax. I threw it in the trash can.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The Aperion meter should be the same as the RS meter...and it's only $29 :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis