What headphones do you use?

Stripes

Stripes

Full Audioholic
Just purchased myself an Studio XPS 16 from Dell, equipped with a Blu-Ray and a 1080p LED screen. Now I need to get the second half of my Portable HT.

I'm looking to spend around $150 and have a closed cup design....

Thanks, Josh

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I use Shure SE530 In-Ear Monitors for portable use, Denon AH-D2000 for movies (when I want sound isolation) and Sennheiser HD555 when I want to use headphones for television (or more casual movie watching).

For your budget, if you're set on headphones that cover your ears, I'd probably have to give the nod to the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. They're very good sounding cans and they are a sealed design so they are very effective at blocking out ambient noise without resorting to detail destroying "active noise cancellation".

I really have to recommend that you consider some In-Ear Monitor type headphones though. For any sort of portable setup, I just consider IEMs the tops as they can offer even better noise isolation, physically much smaller size (easier to port around with you!) and very good sound quality.

For your price range, I'd give the nod to the Shure SE210 or the SE310 if you can find them within your budget. I actually think the SE210 are a much higher value than the SE310, but the SE310 do deliver a teeny bit more bass, which, for movies, could be nice to have :)

Hope this is helpful.

ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

Junior Audioholic
Sennheiser HD280-Pro's

I bought them from newegg 2 years ago ($80) because of their 32db of ambient attenuation. They sound as good as any open headphones I have heard.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I would recommend The Sony MDR-7506 as I have been using them in the studio and live for referance listening on mixes. They are super flat and very comfortable....

T

teaman2004

Audiophyte
Sennheiser HD280-Pro's

I bought them from newegg 2 years ago ($80) because of their 32db of ambient attenuation. They sound as good as any open headphones I have heard.

Sennheiser HD280-Pro's + 1
This is the best headset you can have in this price range. It won't let you down. :eek:

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Yeah what Jamie said!

The Sony MDR-7506 (pro version) or MDR-V6 (consumer version) is where it’s at! I am unaware of anything that will touch their price to performance ratio.

A lot of material is mixed using these head phones, so you’re going to hear the material just as the mixer intended.

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Just purchased myself an Studio XPS 16 from Dell, equipped with a Blu-Ray and a 1080p LED screen. Now I need to get the second half of my Portable HT.

I'm looking to spend around $150 and have a closed cup design....

Thanks, Josh

For studio recording work AKG K-260

For music listening Sennheiser HD328 Precision

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Sennheiser HD280-Pro's

I second that! Typically about $80 to $90 if you shop around.

Best bang for the dollar and they are light weight.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have the Etymotic ER-6i and love them. Further, their sound quality is used by me as reference.

They can be had on eBay for $75 shipped. and it is pretty much impossible to beat the sound at that price. That said, maybe some Shure offerings come close and there is a plethora of new IEM contenders for which I have no comparison feedback.

This looks pretty good but I have no experience with them...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/11/phonak-audeo-pfe-perfect-fit-earphone-review.php

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have the Etymotic ER-6i and love them. Further, their sound quality is used by me as reference.

They can be had on eBay for $75 shipped. and it is pretty much impossible to beat the sound at that price. That said, maybe some Shure offerings come close and there is a plethora of new IEM contenders for which I have no comparison feedback.

This looks pretty good but I have no experience with them...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/11/phonak-audeo-pfe-perfect-fit-earphone-review.php

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-Black/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247768872&sr=8-1

They can be had on amazon for 75 shipped as well.:)

F

fomoz

Enthusiast
I personally own Shure E4c and I've tried my friend's Westone 3, and they were amazing. My E4c didn't sound nearly as good as the westone 3.

If you want to save money I'd consider Shure SE420 off ebay ($200), if you want the best then get Shure SE530 ($300 on eBay) or Westone 3 ($350 on eBay, and they're very very much worth it imo). Shure SE310 are ok I guess, but earphones with dual or triple drivers are much, much, much better.

Last edited:
Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I use Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. I bought them for $235 new when they were on sale last September.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
I use Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EBs for everyday listening. I wanted portability without sacrificing SQ and breaking the bank, and they do their job well.

P

pvsat

Enthusiast
I recently purchased ATH M50s and they are insane. What i mix on them translates to sounding good on 200$-5000$ speakers. they are rated down to 15hz. fantastic product and they are definitely better than sony mdr 7506 or 6.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I have a ton of headphones, I'd say based on your budget and desire for closed headphones: Get Beyerdynamic DT770s. I actually have two pairs of them (one for home only use and one I travel with) because jamie found a steal for 100 bucks during some promotion so I picked up another pair then.

I also like the older style DT831s, although those have mostly been collecting dust lately...

I personally own Shure E4c and I've tried my friend's Westone 3, and they were amazing. My E4c didn't sound nearly as good as the westone 3.

If you want to save money I'd consider Shure SE420 off ebay ($200), if you want the best then get Shure SE530 ($300 on eBay) or Westone 3 ($350 on eBay, and they're very very much worth it imo). Shure SE310 are ok I guess, but earphones with dual or triple drivers are much, much, much better.

I love my Shure e570s. I sit on airplanes in my own little world with those things attached to my Nano, and my Nano and the Shures fit in the little Shure case... which is much easier to travel with than when I would lug around big closed headphones on airplanes.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
But of course amazon.com and other price match websites will be able to get you some of the higher-end Sennheiser 5XX speakers for $150 or less.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
forgot to write fyi that I have a set of Sennheiser headphones (555) that everyone in my family uses for both PC and HT use. Hasn't broken in 4 years despite MUCH abuse...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis