What has Gillette done?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No, I haven't gone back to a safety razor. In my experience with them, in the distant past, they were anything but safe. I'm using Gillette Mach 3 Turbo cartridges on a non-Gillette handle.

Parker Safety Razor is the name of the small company that makes/imports/sells that razor handle. They sell a variety of different products including safety razors, badger brushes, etc. They sell online through their outlet, confusingly called Super Safety Razors, and also through Amazon. They're located in Yorktown Heights, NY.
ops .......my bad, understood.

yeah, it's much easier to be 'lazy' with the newer razors and not get nicked !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
ops .......my bad, understood.

yeah, it's much easier to be 'lazy' with the newer razors and not get nicked !
I'd rather be lazy than bleeding :).

It seems wet shaving, like home audio, is something that allows a very wide variety of individual preferences. I know what I like, and you know what you like. And we don't have to agree on the details to appreciate wet shaving in general.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does any remember this TV commercial from 1967? It's affect on me survived much longer than Noxzema shaving cream did.
In 1977, some 10 years later, my wife-to-be quoted this commercial with a perfect mock-Swedish accent, the first time she watched me shave.

Who wants to bet that the guy shaving in the commercial actually had a blade in his razor?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It seems recycling older Steam Vent threads has become more popular than bickering over politics, and who's scored the latest points in The Culture Wars. I'm good with that.

Back in September, I decided to go with Gillette Mach 3 Turbo blades. I think I covered that already. I ordered a box of 20 M3T blades from Costco. They are much better than the fake Sensor Excel blades I had thrown out.

I wanted to get away from the Gillette handles, and splurged a bit, getting one of these. It was about $32 on Amazon. It's longer, heavier, and better balanced than Gillette's handle. I like that.
View attachment 51595
That bit of splurging got me over the edge, just a bit. It helped that I had an abundance of points in my Amazon account.

I decided I had nothing better to do than try a badger shaving brush. Being basically cheap, I ordered a $30 Parker Black Badger brush. That turned out to be a shopping error. It was OK except for 3 or 4 hairs that were too stiff and sharp. As I worked up a lather on my face, those hairs poked my face enough to hurt. I eventually ditched it, replacing with this Silvertip Badger brush at only twice the price. It's much better.
View attachment 51597

Next, I had to have a proper stand & bowl for all this nice stuff. Got this. The stand is good, but the bowl is too small.
View attachment 51599

I eventually realized I needed a larger bowl to whip up the lather, I ordered this shaving mug. It cost less than others I saw, and has a useful feature of raised 'speed bumps' on the inside bottom of the mug. They actually help in raising a lather.
View attachment 51600
Even after getting all this fine new stuff, I found there was a learning curve for getting a good lather. I found this video on Amazon which actually helped me in this process. Ignore the first minute.

Finally, I can get to my real question that Mikado463 mentioned earlier.
So far, I've used Poraso Red which is sandalwood scented. Once I learned how to make good lather, I started liking it.
View attachment 51601

I have learned there are basically two types of shaving soap, tallow (animal fat) based, or palm oil (vegetable oil) based. I was steered away from the tallow kind because one customer reviewer said it made his skin too greasy. I imagine that guys with dryer skin might prefer the tallow based soaps.

I have learned that there is a bewildering variety of shaving soaps & scents available, at wide range of prices. With that in mind, what can anyone recommend? @Mikado463 and @TLS Guy
That's the soap I use and I like it as well. I don't use a bowl though, I find swirling my brush across the surface of the soap generates a sufficient lather.

I have a shaving set that my wife got me for Christmas last year, including a safety razor, badger hair brush and stand. She bought it from here: Shaving Brushes, Shave Soap and Men's Grooming - Spiffo! , which is a local business. He turns all of his own razor and brush handles. I had previously been using a Parker brush and it was...OK. It was a bit limp and a few hairs would fall out with every shave. My Spiffo brush is fantastic - the hairs are high quality and none have come out since I've had it. He makes safety razors as well as Mach 3 razor handles.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
Speaker isolation produces a "stunning" improvement in sound, according to
IsoAcoustics GAIA Isolators Listening Tests & Conclusion
I'm saddened to see this crap on Audioholics, it truly damages their reputation as an objective site. While these very expensive gadgets may well reduce vibration, where is the blind listening test to prove they work? This glowing report (advertisement) was complete BS and shame on Audioholics for publishing it. Did the "reviewer" get to keep these goodies? Why no conflict of interest statement? Go ahead and buy these, as said for centuries, a fool is soon separated from their money.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm saddened to see this crap on Audioholics, it truly damages their reputation as an objective site. While these very expensive gadgets may well reduce vibration, where is the blind listening test to prove they work? This glowing report (advertisement) was complete BS and shame on Audioholics for publishing it. Did the "reviewer" get to keep these goodies? Why no conflict of interest statement? Go ahead and buy these, as said for centuries, a fool is soon separated from their money.
??? did you cut yourself shaving this morning ??

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think that you are on the wrong thread unless you are trying to shave with those Isolators :) :) :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
awakening an old thread, an interesting product for those of us that 'wet shave' ……….

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Don’t like electric shavers. I’ve used Gillette, Dorco, Amazon, and others, but nothing beats a German-made straight razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis