What does this mean on my Sony X800?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So with my Sony X800 BD player and my BenQ LK970 projector. When i play a blu ray movie and hit "Display" on the X800 remote it says SDR. But when i hit "Display" with a 4K movie it says HDR->SDR. I think maybe the 4k movie looks better but what does this mean? My BenQ LK970 projector is not an HDR projector.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Would the 4k movie look the same as the blu ray with my projector or would the 4k look better?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
All that means is the player is converting the HDR signal down to regular SDR Because if the projector cannot handle HDR it cannot handle all the highlights and extended color gamut is that HDR offers. You could actually go in and mess with the settings on the player on how it converts the HDR to SDR by usually on a how much light the player puts out. The lower you go the less bright your projector will look but the better highlights you get. When I used to have a non 4k sdr tv I'd usually keep that setting at negative 2 so I would get some of the highlights but not keep the TV too dark. And in my opinion yes the 4K disks will look better would still look better on your projector than a regular Blu-Ray.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis