What does it mean to have a "flat" image?

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
So I'm looking to make the jump to a Front Screen Projector set up and I've been reading reviews like a fiend! I keep reading that certain projectors produce a flat picture, lacking of 3-dimensionality (is that even a word?!). What does this mean exactly?

Specifically, I've been eyeballing the Sony Pearl and the upcoming Black Pearl. Reviews of the Pearl speak of a flat image but I don't really know what this means. Is it something I should be concerned about when choosing a projector or not?

I've also heard that the new JVC RS1(?) creates an extremely life-like (good 3-dimensionality?) image but I think that may be a bit outside my price range right now.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
So I'm looking to make the jump to a Front Screen Projector set up and I've been reading reviews like a fiend! I keep reading that certain projectors produce a flat picture, lacking of 3-dimensionality (is that even a word?!). What does this mean exactly?

Specifically, I've been eyeballing the Sony Pearl and the upcoming Black Pearl. Reviews of the Pearl speak of a flat image but I don't really know what this means. Is it something I should be concerned about when choosing a projector or not?

I've also heard that the new JVC RS1(?) creates an extremely life-like (good 3-dimensionality?) image but I think that may be a bit outside my price range right now.

Thanks y'all!
It is a subjective description of vibrant or brilliant colors most likely, that seem to jump off the screen?
I have the Sony 100 Ruby, like it fine. HD can be most impressive.:D

What size screen? Dark room? viewing distance?

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
It is a subjective description of vibrant or brilliant colors most likely, that seem to jump off the screen?
I have the Sony 100 Ruby, like it fine. HD can be most impressive.:D

What size screen? Dark room? viewing distance?

Thanks...

I'm looking at either a 72" or 84" dnp SuperNova flex at the moment. I'm still trying to find a less expensive alternative, but I'm still going to talk to the rep in my area about it next weekend. I don't have space to fit a 100", I measured it out today. Ceiling mounted, retractable, yada, yada, yada. I already looked at the Visage, but it's not retractable...didn't know retractable screens were so much more than fixed. Wow! I still need to find our if the dnp is a tensioned screen, I"m assuming it is but it's worth asking.

Viewing distance is around 12', and no not a very dark room. Window directly behind the projector with only blinds as light control. White walls, bright furniture. An interior deisgners paradise? Yes. A Home Theater nut's hell? Yes. I'd say my room is probably the least suited room for this kind of set up...I like a challenge!!:D

I'm hoping that all of the great things I've read about the SuperNova can help with the situation but want to see it in action first. The screen is going to float in the middle of the room so will drop from the ceiling.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks...

I'm looking at either a 72" or 84" dnp SuperNova flex at the moment. I'm still trying to find a less expensive alternative, but I'm still going to talk to the rep in my area about it next weekend. I don't have space to fit a 100", I measured it out today. Ceiling mounted, retractable, yada, yada, yada. I already looked at the Visage, but it's not retractable...didn't know retractable screens were so much more than fixed. Wow! I still need to find our if the dnp is a tensioned screen, I"m assuming it is but it's worth asking.

Viewing distance is around 12', and no not a very dark room. Window directly behind the projector with only blinds as light control. White walls, bright furniture. An interior deisgners paradise? Yes. A Home Theater nut's hell? Yes. I'd say my room is probably the least suited room for this kind of set up...I like a challenge!!:D

I'm hoping that all of the great things I've read about the SuperNova can help with the situation but want to see it in action first. The screen is going to float in the middle of the room so will drop from the ceiling.

You may try honeycomb blackout blinds outside the frame, an inexpensive alternative to blackout curtains. Too bad you cannot go larger.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis