what do you think of this idea?

B

BARRACUDA1968

Junior Audioholic
I am just getting into the HT thing. Here is what I have for equipment.

Sunfire Grand Theatre III
Monster Power 2000
Monter power 7000 conditioner
Using 2 Proton D1200 dual mono amps
Proton DVD 5.1
I currently run 4 speakers and a sub

I hooked everything up and put in a DVD and set it to 5.1. I couldnt hear any voices so I eventually figured out it's because I don't have a center channel. I switched my DVD back to a 2 channel output and I was fine.

Heres my question, I won a Bose 10 speaker system that I have never used. I'm thinking of using one of the dual cubes as a center. I have an amp etc to make this work. Is there any type of crossover built into my Sunfire to keep the lows away from the center channel? I know the Bose cubes are small so am I asking for trouble not using them with the bose sub and crossover they are designed to work with?

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
BARRACUDA1968 said:
I am just getting into the HT thing. Here is what I have for equipment.

Sunfire Grand Theatre III
Monster Power 2000
Monter power 7000 conditioner
Using 2 Proton D1200 dual mono amps
Proton DVD 5.1
I currently run 4 speakers and a sub

I hooked everything up and put in a DVD and set it to 5.1. I couldnt hear any voices so I eventually figured out it's because I don't have a center channel. I switched my DVD back to a 2 channel output and I was fine.

Heres my question, I won a Bose 10 speaker system that I have never used. I'm thinking of using one of the dual cubes as a center. I have an amp etc to make this work. Is there any type of crossover built into my Sunfire to keep the lows away from the center channel? I know the Bose cubes are small so am I asking for trouble not using them with the bose sub and crossover they are designed to work with?
without getting into to much bose bashing, i think its a pretty poor idea! The best option would be to buy 5 new speakers from the same manufacturer, so they're all sonically "matched" or however you want to say it. If this isn't an option for you, the next option would be to buy a new set of front speakers & then a center channel from the same manufacturer. Most will tell you it is more important to have matched L/C/R than surround speakers. Lastly, you could just buy a center channel (maybe from the same manufacturer as your speakers?) But i would definately not just use a bose cube.

B

BARRACUDA1968

Junior Audioholic
that makes a lot of sense but I have 4 ESS AMT 4 monitors that I will take to my grave with me. LOL So I guess I need to find a center that will work with the Heils.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
BARRACUDA1968 said:
that makes a lot of sense but I have 4 ESS AMT 4 monitors that I will take to my grave with me. LOL So I guess I need to find a center that will work with the Heils.
lol, If you know the frequency response of your speakers (like 35hz-35khz) then you may be able (maybe with the help of fellow audioholics) to find a center that would "match" well with your speakers. Also, if someone is familiar with that brand of speaker, they may be able to suggest a center that "sounds" similiar (bright, warm, etc...)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you could find another ESS monitor, it would work well as a center.

B

BARRACUDA1968

Junior Audioholic
if I had to descibe the ESS I would compare them to an older Klipsh like the Herresy. I don't know if the newer Klipsch stuff is as good as the older?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BARRACUDA1968 said:

Yes, you need to find a center speaker as closely matching what you have. Jaxvon has the best idea, try to find another one or even a pair of the speakers you have, even used. Then, you have a uniform sounding front stage.
Knowing the frequency response of your speaker and matching it with another brand is futile as there are numerous other aspects of speaker matching.
In the end, you use what is available after you searched the planet for a proper match. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
other receivers have the option of setting the center as "non"
if you select that, you'll be able to watch your dvd's without a center (the left and right will produce the voices)

of course, nothing beats having a center ... but at least you can watch your movies til you find one.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yamaha Receivers have a center EQ so you can adjust the sound from it to match if you don't have matching fronts, like me. Its also handy if you want to make the voice frequencys louder.

SheepStar

B

BARRACUDA1968

Junior Audioholic
This is what I did. I have 2 pairs of ESS PS 8h's they are a current model from ESS with a heil and an 8" driver. LINK http://www.essspeakers.com/ps__8h.htm I'm using a pair of them up front with a splitter off the preamp for the center along with my monitors for the fronts. I'm sure it's not as effective as having the center in the ( center ) but it doesn't sound to bad! I like to hear the voices very clearly so this is effective for my style. I'm ussually munching on something so having a little overkill on the center works so I can hear the movie over my cheetos. LOL I will take a picture of my set up and post it in this thread later. Thanks for the help.!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis