What do you guys think of Maggie's?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Just curious; any Magnepan fans here? &nbsp;If so, what do you have?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>IMHO, one of the best US made speakers ever made and the best value. If Yamaha didnt make speakers I would be on Maggies. They are difficult to drive speakers but Yamaha amps and receivers drive them easily.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Yammie makes speakers? &nbsp;You mean one's that Best Buy doesn't carry?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Rob,

Yamaha has always made speakers from seventies onwards, the company was formed to supply speakers for their musical instruments and was soon ported for home and commercial audio speakers. The NS-1000x luanched in the 70s used berrilyum for mid range and tweeters and was considered way ahead of its contemporaries then. It was rated as the flattest and most transparent speakers by several magazines and was used as monitors by big names as Danish Boradcasting and several big studios. The NS-10M sold 170,000 units worldwide is also another popular Yamaha monitor and chanes are that most of your CD collections has been mastered on that.

Even though Yamaha stopped NS-1000 sale in the US in the late 80s, people still actively trade it on e-bay. Read another forum member Hondaman's experience with the NS-1000M.

Sadly Yamaha only bought mediocore speakers to the US because of majority's ignorance on Yamaha speakers. They sold low end speakers at BB and never bought their award winning NS-200/300 to the US. The situation is slightly better today as they are selling their medium range NS-555/777 at BB which is receiving accolades from those who are auditioning them, sadly their Grand Prix award winning NS-6/8HX are yet to be launched and the NS-200/300 are never going to be marketed by them.</font>

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : <font color='#000000'>Just curious; any Magnepan fans here?  If so, what do you have?</font>
<font color='#000000'>Although I don't own them anymore a pair of MG1's I purchased in 1979 started me down the road to Audiophilia. Next came a pair of MG3's then a pair of Tympani's. In 1983 I bought a pair of Acoustat Model 3's (electrostatic). I still have them. I currently use a pair of Acoustat Model 2's (later version) for my fronts and a pair of Model 1's for my rears. I have dual 12&quot; subs in 3 cubic ft. sealed cabinets. The original bass box that came with the Model 2's is the sub for my rears. I use an Adcom GFA545 to drive the rear system. A pair of heavily modified Hafler DH200's drive my front subs (dual voice coils). My front mains use a pair of radically modified Dyne MK3's (tube). Only the transformers and output tubes are stock. I should add that I am a bachelor and have a house with a dedicated listening room. It used to be my living room and dining room. I knocked down the wall between them to have a larger space. Rooms in Philadelphia row homes are not that large by themselves. Sorry for all the superfluous stuf. Magnaplaners are the best buy in audio. They should be banned for getting me started in this. Just kidding! My original Maggie's are still being used by one of my audiobuddies. He did have new diaphragms put on about 3 years age. The aluminum wire used on the diaphragms can corrode over time. Magnapan has very good customer service and were very happy to effect repairs. If you have the space and sufficient amplifier power buy them. You will not be disappointed. Bear in mind they do not have headbanger bass. However, you can always add a good sub. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I have a pair of good subs.
&nbsp; Sooo, you had the mythic Tympani's? &nbsp;They had pretty #### good bass, didn't they? &nbsp;I haven't ever heard them, just the legend of them. &nbsp;How did you let 'em get away? &nbsp;Was it a WAF thing?

I'm happy with what I have but eager to try out some Maggies. &nbsp;My room layout isn't optimum for dipoles, but I could probably make 'em work.

Funny, in Stereophiles reader survey they were easily the most popular speaker, yet this thread had almost no hits...</font>

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>The bass on them was the best bass from Maggies until the MG20's. I think part of the reason was because they had double ended drive (magnets on both sides of the diaphragm). The only current Maggies that have that are the MG20's. They have GREAT bass. All current Maggies except the SMG have better treble because of the ribbon tweeter. I sold the Tympani's to buy a pair of Acoustat's. I have had nothing but electrostatics since. BTW the wife at that time loved them. She was the only woman I've ever met that played music louder than I do. Also, if you ever decide to go to panels you might want to check out Eminent Technology. Their panels use double ended drive although their speakers have cones for bass. Bruce Thigpen (the designer) sold his technology to Monsoon. They also have some very nice very reasonably priced panel type speakers. They use cones for bass and don't have the strict distance from wall requirments.
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis