what can damage your speakers?

Jmoney715

Jmoney715

Audioholic Intern
is there anything that can do damage to your speakers besides bumping it real loud or something like a lighting stike?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Jmoney715 said:
is there anything that can do damage to your speakers besides bumping it real loud or something like a lighting stike?

I can tell you from college experience that a can of spilled beer provides a bit of unwanted damping to an otherwise sound speaker. Also, cats can really customize your cabs and grills. :D

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Jmoney715 said:
The thing that blows more speakers more than anything is using a crappy under powered amp that is prone to clipping. You are much more likely to blows good speakers with an underpowered amp than an high quality high powered amp. Clipping occurs when you push the amp beyond the peak levels it is capable of reproducing a source signal. When this occurs the signal it sends to your speaker is a shrilled noise that when interpreted can be understood to say: "This amp sucks".

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
rjbudz said:
I can tell you from college experience that a can of spilled beer provides a bit of unwanted damping to an otherwise sound speaker. Also, cats can really customize your cabs and grills. :D
its so true so true, and is exactly why I didn't get the Paradigm Monitor 7's to put in my room at the fraternity house

Jmoney715

Jmoney715

Audioholic Intern
heh, animals i didnt think of that one, i have a 100LB german shepherd, image what he can do to my speakers when he gets bored, thank god for those baby gates and always remembering to shut the door.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Jmoney715 said:
heh, animals i didnt think of that one, i have a 100LB german shepherd, image what he can do to my speakers when he gets bored, thank god for those baby gates and always remembering to shut the door.

LOL. Too, I had a doberman who laid on his side next to a big floorstander, stretched those long legs of his, and put a 4 inch tear right through the grill and 12" woofer with his toenail. Great dog. Lousy speaker, anyway.

N

nak45z

Junior Audioholic
nephews running around the great room hitting everyspeaker in the room, and not to mention the projection tv. Out the house they went, now my sister does not stop by anymore.....

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
I have observed that cats love to stretch themselves out by putting their front claws on your speaker grills. This leaves tiny little runs in the fabric, but thus far no damage to the drivers.

Occasionally, a cat will jump up on top of a floor-stander. Cats, having great power and control ("power is nothing without control"), usually nothing untoward occurs and there is just a cat sitting atop the speaker like a living sculpture. However, I once found an Axiom M60 lying horizontally on the carpet. Fortunately, it didn't hit anything on the way down, so there was no damage, cosmetic or otherwise. The cats left no forensic evidence and wouldn't confess after I read them their rights.

V

VS540

Junior Audioholic
Things that can damage speakers:

Fast moving projectiles such as bullets, missiles, rockets, shrapnel from these projectiles or bombs.

Cars hitting your speakers.

Wives throwing objects at you and missing and hitting the speakers.

A wide assortment of various fluids or liquids.

Refrigerator falling over onto speakers.

Children (human in origin).

Animals, both domestic and non domestic.

Large pieces of hail.

Lighting.

Golf clubs, baseball bats, and other related sporting equipment.

Kicking.

Tree limbs.

Prosthetic limbs.

Surface of Sun.

Nuclear holocaust.

Volcano's.

Meteors.

Medium to large sized rocks.

Feces that was flushed from a plane and frozen in the atmosphere and then crashes through your roof into speakers.

Cinder blocks.

Wrecking ball.

Lot's of other things can damage speakers, but you get the drift...

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
i see there are some good advice posted but everyone has seen to forget the

most dangerous thing to do. Never... i repeat never, play jumanji in the house. that said have a great day.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
20to20K said:
The thing that blows more speakers more than anything is using a crappy under powered amp that is prone to clipping. You are much more likely to blows good speakers with an underpowered amp than an high quality high powered amp. Clipping occurs when you push the amp beyond the peak levels it is capable of reproducing a source signal. When this occurs the signal it sends to your speaker is a shrilled noise that when interpreted can be understood to say: "This amp sucks".
I just want to throw a completely agree out here. This is the number one reason that I have heard of for speakers to blow. Having to much power is rarely the issue, to little is the real speaker killer.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
BMXTRIX said:
I just want to throw a completely agree out here. This is the number one reason that I have heard of for speakers to blow. Having to much power is rarely the issue, to little is the real speaker killer.
Thank you.

Sharp rise time and the clipping of the amp, kills drivers.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
rjbudz said:
LOL. Too, I had a doberman who laid on his side next to a big floorstander, stretched those long legs of his, and put a 4 inch tear right through the grill and 12" woofer with his toenail. Great dog. Lousy speaker, anyway.

....a woofer woofer! :D

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
VS540 said:
Feces that was flushed from a plane and frozen in the atmosphere and then crashes through your roof into speakers.
Clearly you have been watching to much Joe Dirt...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
brian32672 said:
Clearly you have been watching to much Joe Dirt...
Funny... I would guess the TV Show CSI - They just aired it (in HD) the other night and it was brought up. Just a killer icy poo ball.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Although not as sudden or dramatic as the other concerns,...

...placing them in direct sunlight and/or near a a forced air heating sysem duct can slowly dry out the surrounds.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Overdriving an amplifier,which results in a clipped signal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis