What Bookshelf Speakers????

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Room: Open air basement w concrete walls, 8 X12 area is carpeted, ceiling wood rafters are 8' high. TV is 55" with my viewing BED distance at 7 feet with front speakers calibrated at 6.5' distance with surrounds calibrated distance at 4 feet.
I would keep the center and the sub, repl the front L/R and surrounds.
Budget: $800msrp for 4 bookshelf speakers.

The Polk surrounds are suspended from the ceiling with the tweeters 22" above my head and a little behind. The woofer is at 1/4 gain, as is enough base for MOVIES. I am a DD movie watcher.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
How about something like this? I have them as surrounds and they are excellent.

The bigger brother CG23s might be too big for this situation. I have them as LCR.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Also an excellent choice, excellent.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Philharmonic Audio is going to be releasing a 30-minute quick-kit version of his old Affordable Accuracy+ design which is based on a kit from Dayton Audio.
I don’t know the final details yet of what is entailed in the assembly (Dennis previously did full assembly himself and sold them as finished speakers, but those days are over).
Regardless, these are amazing speakers for 350 per pair, with very good bass extension and a premium tweeter upgrade. Frequency response is flat and SQ is a giant killer.
He is targeting a February release.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Canton Chrono 502.2 ... sold by the pair

Also keep an eye out for the Phil AA+ speakers linked above
Just to avoid potential confusion, Dennis is currently selling through a small stock of his ORIGINAL AA design which is a modded Pioneer/Andrew Jones Speaker.

The AA+ is based on the Dayton BR-1 Kit with a new Tweeter (Morel) and a modified XO circuit. :)

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Philharmonic Audio is going to be releasing a 30-minute quick-kit version of his old Affordable Accuracy+ design which is based on a kit from Dayton Audio.
I don’t know the final details yet of what is entailed in the assembly (Dennis previously did full assembly himself and sold them as finished speakers, but those days are over).
Regardless, these are amazing speakers for 350 per pair, with very good bass extension and a premium tweeter upgrade. Frequency response is flat and SQ is a giant killer.
He is targeting a February release.
The kit will consist of the Parts Express BR-1 cabinets, wired crossover boards, hardware, and the drivers. No soldering will be required to make a speaker out of all that. It's just a matter of clicking the crossover wires onto the driver and input terminals and mounting drivers using the pre-drilled screw holes and the supplied screws.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Thank you for your comments! I will be back.

Update: The JBL Stage A130, is what I am going with for the front L/R, for now.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for your comments! I will be back.

Update: The JBL Stage A130, is what I am going with for the front L/R, for now.
Why did you not get the Canton as suggested they are much better and on sale.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Preference Ratings & Graphs (google.com)
My listening area is 8 X 12, in an open air 30 X 40 basement, and take a look at the ratings of the tested speakers. You decide.. Long story short. JBL A103 should fit the bill above other rated bookshelves, for my environment. My A130's will be here next Wednesday.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Reporting back......The JBL Stage A130 is a vast improvement over the Klipsch 51M that I had and the 41M before that. I am into DD movies for my small 10 X 12 room and switch the AVR audio to "Virtual" for music. My whole surround experience is more inviting with the replacement JBL's. Do I need a better speaker for my environment?
Here is the forum review on the Stage A 130 and you decide. :)
(1) JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum What do others have to say?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Reporting back......The JBL Stage A130 is a vast improvement over the Klipsch 51M that I had and the 41M before that. I am into DD movies for my small 10 X 12 room and switch the AVR audio to "Virtual" for music. My whole surround experience is more inviting with the replacement JBL's.
Continue to enjoy the audio adventure

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Reporting back......The JBL Stage A130 is a vast improvement over the Klipsch 51M that I had and the 41M before that. I am into DD movies for my small 10 X 12 room and switch the AVR audio to "Virtual" for music. My whole surround experience is more inviting with the replacement JBL's. Do I need a better speaker for my environment?
Here is the forum review on the Stage A 130 and you decide. :)
(1) JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum What do others have to say?
i would suggest that at that price point you have maximized value...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis