What am I doing wrong

Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
I have an onkyo tx-nr555 receiver front left and right channels are Polk rti 100 ( powered ) surround left and right channels are Polk monitor ll 70 series center channel is Polk CS2 and I have two Yamaha yst sw216 subwoofers. Everything is brand new did the calibration with the Mic but I'm not getting the sound I was expecting the wow factor. Any recommendations? Room size is only 12 x 34

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I have an onkyo tx-nr555 receiver front left and right channels are Polk rti 100 ( powered ) surround left and right channels are Polk monitor ll 70 series center channel is Polk CS2 and I have two Yamaha yst sw216 subwoofers. Everything is brand new did the calibration with the Mic but I'm not getting the sound I was expecting the wow factor. Any recommendations? Room size is only 12 x 34
Check your settings, in your OSD there is a double bass feature, set to on. Also check your speaker settings, Set front mains to full, center, surrounds use what's recommended from the manufacturer of the speakers. Most Auto calibration on most of those AVR"s can be a hit or miss..I run mine first, than I go into manual settings and tweak it the way I like it. Onkyo has a DTS. setting if I remember right set that to on. Also for music there is setting, called 'Music Optimizer' set that to on. If you want more 'punch' to the low end when listening to music. When you switch to movie Blu-ray or DVD it will automatically disable that feature. Music Optimizer will not activate when watching movies. Than you can jump over to your EQ, settings I believe there is 7 out of15 settings you can use, but it won't let you use all 15 just 7. Start at the low end of the EQ. maybe 3 or 4 out of the 7. Polks M70's slope drops off sharply so EQ, should help with a little more punch. Make sure your Not running your subs to hot. One more thing set your L/R mains about 6" from the wall and toe-in No less than 15% more of you can, for surround toe-in is a lot more closer to 45 degrees in. Where you are sitting, how far away you are from your HDTV... effects everything else. Speakers sound to brite? put a rug down, bass can be affected by the room, you may have to add room treatments, base traps in the corners of your room and so on. If you have a window or an open door way close to one of your mains that to will affect the low end output. Think of your speakers being played outside Home audio speakers are not by designed to be played Outdoors. So anything like Windows open door ways floors with no carpeting hardwood will affect your Sound Stage.

Just my two Bits.;)

Your Mains are powered my bad I read that, those are a older speaker but a good set, much better than your M70, 'subjectively' 'but still recommend do as pre..using your M70's as surrounds I wouldn't go lower than 60hz or 70hz. I guess you could go lower if that unit lets you, and since your fronts are powered it does take load off the amp.. You should have a pretty good Kick-Ass set up get everything set right..forgot just read 'subs' you may need a 'SPL' sound pressure level, meter to be able to dial in those two subs equally, if you can get your hands on a SPL meter start at 75 dbs, volume level should about, umm. 1/3 to mid 1/2 way up think 0 to 100 being all the up full blast. Than set the Hzs to full, let your AVR do the crossover for LF. I believe on that AVR you can do Main/Sub..and LF. 120hz to 80hz. but I believe you can go even lower on that unit. Now with all that said I claim to be no expert in audio/video.. just going from experience and the knowledge that I've gained from the many years in his Hobby. I am still learning myself from the Old Timers in here and they've helped me out a Ton!..But just an opinion, the others have stated, you may need to upgrade you Subs, those that you have now are basically fill in Subs, they're not going to hit real hard, but you do have two of them both together set right should give you some good punch. But I have to agree with the others, a much better Sub or Subs will give You that, WOW facter with movies and your music listening pleasure. Best of luck! If you need or want more technical advice seek out one of the other Old Timers they have a lot more technical knowledge on that end of this hobby, especially with the electronics and speaker technology than I do, great bunch of Old Timers in here. I would put most of them up against just about anybody on forums. I know, some have had my head spinning at times with factual base facts some are that good in here. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know what your expectations are or what they're based on....might explain more about your setup, particularly the powered woofers in your speakers, as well as how you've positioned speakers/subs. 12x34 (assuming 8 ft ceiling) is a fairly large space, especially if open to others, as far as subs are concerned....why did you pick those subs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hard to know what your expectations are or what they're based on....might explain more about your setup, particularly the powered woofers in your speakers, as well as how you've positioned speakers/subs. 12x34 (assuming 8 ft ceiling) is a fairly large space, especially if open to others, as far as subs are concerned....why did you pick those subs?
I bet price had something to do with the choice of those subs. They are like $100 each. I am sure they are also a major cause of the lack of wow factor.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
As others have stated: that's a lot of room for that system to fill. I'd return the subs and save money for something better. Those are going to be a HUGE limiting factor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis