What’s the worst marketing snake oil you’ve ever experienced first hand? Sales pitch, actual purchase, etc

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Talking of AudiogoN, This little gem arrived via e-mail about a modification in there "hot Items" page. It's all about a power cord,

For the Panasonic we also offer a custom made power cord with imported plugs and a high strand cable that makes the mod even better.

The custom made Furutech power cords we make that matches that player is composed of imported copper plugs that have undergone a special process that seems to make a big difference in the sound and video quality. Combined with the floating field damper that Furutech exclusively employs to minimize magnetic field resonance and our imported silver solder with an ultra high strand count wire and you get the only power cord that we've found makes a significant difference difference to how both unmodified and modified equipment sound and look in terms of video.

My question of cause is will there power cord, if connected to an electric jug boil water faster then my two dollar cord that came with the jug. And you can't get any more scientific then that. Or are americans that gullible to believe this sort of .crap.. crosses out crap and replace with rubbish..
It doesn't boil the water faster, it boils better.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I never bought into "high end" cables, even in my audiophool days. Didn't spend money on "tweaks either." My favorite scam were little wooden disks made in Korea that were to be placed on components and then rotated until the sound was at its best. Nothing electronic. Just little wooden disks.

The thing that sent me into the frenzy of bias controlled testing that cured my audiophoolery was the idea of sonic signatures for digital cables. I knew enough to know that digital cables don't transmit sonic wave forms, they transmit data. So there isn't anything sonic to have a signature in what they do. I was right. There was no sonic signature to a digital cable. Reliable construction is all that matters in them.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The thing that sent me into the frenzy of bias controlled testing that cured my audiophoolery was the idea of sonic signatures for digital cables. I knew enough to know that digital cables don't transmit sonic wave forms, they transmit data. So there isn't anything sonic to have a signature in what they do. I was right. There was no sonic signature to a digital cable. Reliable construction is all that matters in them.
Reliable construction, but 18 AWG lamp cord for short runs can do the job for a lot of systems. It's only a matter of conductor resistance.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
5.1 virtual surround sound.
This came from two products.
Bose soundbar and computer speakers.

I will say I use neither of them today.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
5.1 virtual surround sound.
This came from two products.
Bose soundbar and computer speakers.

I will say I use neither of them today.
Did you later find other algorithms that worked better than these?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis