Wharfedale sub woofers

L

Le_smithier

Enthusiast
Hi im new to this forum :)

I got a yamaha DSP 640 powering a wharfedale dimaond 8 + 6 speaker surround system and i was thinking of getting a subwoofer as the fronts tend to break up a little bit on some of the bassier movie soundtracks.

i was looking at either Diamond 9 sw 150 to match the speakers or an mj acoustics reference 100 sub as it seemed to get pretty good reviews all around.

Any suggestions or help on this would be great.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One of the great things about subwoofers is...

...that, unlike other speakers in your system, timbre matching is not a concern. Between the options available on most HT receivers, and adjustments on the subwoofer itself, pretty much any subwoofer can be seamlesly blended into any system. You aren't forced to work within your main speakers family.

Depending on where you are located, some subs may be available to you that aren'y available elsewhere and likewise, some subs available to me may not be available to you at reasonable prices due to shipping, duties, etc...

I'd suggest you look into SVS or Hsu but then again, the might not be available where you are at the same prices I can get them for.

so, if you want some meaningful input, specifying where you are might help.

L

Le_smithier

Enthusiast
Im located in manchester, england my budgets about £350 (around $575 dollars i think)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't think you were from around here.

...from those names mentioned.

Unfortunately, whike the internet might be somewhat of a global socicity, the international trade has not yet caught up to it. ;)

Too many times suggestions that are great for one country are either cost prohibitive or simply not available in other locales.

Sorry, I don't know your market there but, no that it's out in the open, I would hope that others with more insight into your market will.

...I've heard good things about REL, though.

L

Le_smithier

Enthusiast
Cheers very much for the response ive had a look at those SVS subs you mentioned and they look very nice, i hadn't even heard of them till toady!!.

They seem to be of greater value for money and quality than the products that are on offer in the UK though so i might pursue that route when i've saved up a bit more cash, lol

The reason why i asked on this forum was because the UK ones end up with people arguing between themselves when you ask for advice or suggestions, as a result you get about 30 different opinions with very little fact behind them and the posts get more and more sarcastic as the thread develops, so ive given up with the forums from my own country.

Thanks once again

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Le_smithier said:
The reason why i asked on this forum was because the UK ones end up with people arguing between themselves when you ask for advice or suggestions, as a result you get about 30 different opinions with very little fact behind them and the posts get more and more sarcastic as the thread develops...
... things are the same all over. As long as you avoid certain subjects* and certain boards, you're fine.

But, on the whole, this board is more slanted towards stating facts as facts and opinions and opinions. It's when the border between them gets blurry that problems arise.

Stick around. It's nice to have input from other areas. This is basically a USA based forum although all are welcome.

*cables is a good one. up there with politics and religion.

Diamond

Diamond

Audiophyte
I've got D9.1s and was considering SW150. I was struck by a lightning, and ordered 2 Svs PB10s with a friend. It was 40% more expensive than SW150, but the extension is what it's about. It's big though, so wheigh your needs, room, and wallet.

Sub

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis