Went to listen to SVS

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I was working around the corner from Sonic Boom (the SVS distributer in Canada) on Wed. and stopped by just to see what they had. All that is in stock at the moment is a PB-10 and a PB-12, The current showroom is REALLY not set up to demo subs. However the guys from Electronics for Less (sonic Boom) were happy to do their best to show me what the SVS subs were like. I wasn't very impressed with the performance to be honest, but I know that the room dimensions and layout would prevent any sub I've ever seen from sounding good. We're talking about thousands of square feet of open space with no reinforcement. I can't hold a lack of performance against the subs in there, but I'll explain more about that later.

The first thing I noticed was that the subs weren't as big as I feared. I've heard the stories about the massive dimensions and the big shock people get when they first see the SVS products, but I think that that awe must be reserved for the subs past the entry level line-up. Maybe the reason the SVS subs didn't look as big as I'd feared was due to the HSU STF-3 seated right next to the PB-10. The HSU is a much bigger sub than the PB-10, but is smaller than the PB-12. It may not be fair to compare a 10" and a 12" but they were right next to each other.

The second thing I noticed was the difference in the fit and finish between the SVS and HSU offerings. IMO the SVS units were finished in a much better manner. The PB-10 and -12 seemed sturdier and the cabinets just seemed to be better designed and finished. The HSU subs look like someone has slapped a too-big lid on top of the box. I've never noticed that before when I've seen their subs. The grill on the SVS is fantastic, I've never seen such a nice grill on a "cheap" sub ($579 and $779 respectively for the 10 and 12) and the holes for mounting the grill looked like they've been chromed. I'm not saying that either sub is pretty in the conventional sense, but in the utilitarian manner that both are designed I think that the SVS is the better looking product. There are better looking subs than both companies offering out there, but I don't care about looks, just performance and value.

The third thing I noticed was the lack of connectivity on the PB-10. No crossover and no speaker level inputs. Not a big issue for me, I've got a digital receiver, but I couldn't use this guy in my secondary system if I ever upgraded.

Now for the sound difference. I won't go into detail here because I was underwhelmed by all the offerings. For movies the PB-12 walked all over the other two, but it was the ony one that was corner loaded. For music I had a weird thing happen. I've never been a subsriber to the "musical" sub vs "movie" sub theory but the HSU seemed to be the best for music. The test wasn't exactly A/B but I wasn't the only one that thought the SVS subs were outclassed in this instance. I can't say for sure because I know the room came into play but it seemed like the SVS was missing something. My co-worker was with me and he's an ex musician (a very good one by the way). He told me once we'd left the shop that all he could hear in the lower bass frequency was the kick drum, and nothing else.

I won't give too much credibility to my first sonic impressions, and I plan to take home an SVS sub to demo in my HT. It's going to take about 3 weeks to scratch up the dough but this is a 3 paycheck month and I've already covered my first of the month bills so look out neighbours, here comes my new sub.

some additional things to note:

I am sold on at least demoing an SVS sub, not 100% set on the model yet.

I heard the SVS surround sound speaker package and was VERY impressed. I don't really want to write a review of them, but I will say that they are a fantastic buy at the price. The muscian co-worker/friend that was with me loved them, and his thing is accuracy. Can't say enough good about them.

The guys at Sonic Boom (EL), while not quite ready to show customers the SVS line did their best to accomodate me They provided top notch customer service for a last minute drop in who told them up front he wasn't buying that day, and did everything they could to satisfy my questions. Also they were very knowledgable about the products they are selling (nice change from a chain store) an at least one of them had been to the SVS facility in Ohio. Also the owner of the store was down in Ohio while I was in the store. Shows a commitment to the line in my opinion.

I emailed SVS a couple of questions and received a prompt reply from Ron Stimpson. It is obvious that he is very passionate about his company's products, to the point where it's a little contagious to be honest. His reply wasn't the standard one or two sentences but half a page of detailed info that was specific to my questions. I have another question for them and I just hope it's handeled in the same manner.

Sum up:
The subs seem like fantastic products, but that is the wrong environment for them. I hope the new showroom is ready soon. I'll post more info when I pick up my sub.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting...

Well this confirms it, Sheep's getting a PB-12. :D

SheepStar

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Wow

thanks for the write up, it will save me the trouble now;). I'm going there this Saturday and I was told in advance about the set up issues due to the svs new arrivals. Mason was very helpfull and accommodating to my questions:) . I do feel we are very lucky, where else can you go for a svs and hsu side by side demo:D. When the sound room is complete wooooohoooo. I'm in the market for the sb 12 plus and he'll try to hook me up, buy after reading your post the best way to audition it will be at home:) .

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
SVS Here I COME!

I ordered the 25-31PCi from sonic today. Can't wait to have my first real sub, so I can put my old Advent 8" to a long overdue grave.

Matt34

Matt34

DrPainMD said:
I ordered the 25-31PCi from sonic today. Can't wait to have my first real sub, so I can put my old Advent 8" to a long overdue grave.
That's quite the upgrade!! You're going to be grinning from ear to ear when you get it hooked up.:D

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
Matt34 said:
That's quite the upgrade!! You're going to be grinning from ear to ear when you get it hooked up.:D
Tell me about it, I'm all ready for it. It's the most money I've spent on anything audio. The wife is starting to give me guilt trips, I've for the past while when we go dollar store shopping(mainly to maintain her addiction to beading, "you don't need that". Over 700 times later its paid off!:p

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
DrPainMD said:
Tell me about it, I'm all ready for it. It's the most money I've spent on anything audio.
Its certainly a good investment. After the initial "It booms real good" honeymoon period of subwoofer ownership ends, you get back into watching movies/Tv that aren't made just for subwoofers. About that time the new mindset sets in... "I'm finally able to hear all of it without distortion". And your daily thought process is free from wondering about substandard bass, or what new movie/CD is going to come out thats even bassier than the last.

No longer chasing specs, you can resume listening to the audio.

-Subwoofer upgrade free for 22 months.

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Its certainly a good investment. After the initial "It booms real good" honeymoon period of subwoofer ownership ends, you get back into watching movies/Tv that aren't made just for subwoofers. About that time the new mindset sets in... "I'm finally able to hear all of it without distortion". And your daily thought process is free from wondering about substandard bass, or what new movie/CD is going to come out thats even bassier than the last.

No longer chasing specs, you can resume listening to the audio.

-Subwoofer upgrade free for 22 months.
Sounds about right, except for the 22 months thing, this baby better last longer than that. I got plans to replace my speakers and receiver in the long haul. You don't want know what they are(JVC fronts and a Kenwood center, with Advent surrounds~ omg I said it,ARRRGGG), I've been "happy" for a long time but I find reading forums makes you want to upgrade. Once I get some "real" speakers to go with my real sub, and a real receiver(only have a Pio 515 now). Looking to get some Paradigms next year"ish" with a Yamaha or Denon receiver(which can wait until hdmi 1.3 is sorted out).

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
im going over to sonic boom audio today! they did say they had the plus models on display!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mike c said:
im going over to sonic boom audio today! they did say they had the plus models on display!
Mike,

Hopefully they have a Plus/2 to compare to the single 12" units.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Mike I though you are kidding? If your in town welcome to TO(Toronto) I was there on Saturday and heard the sb12 plus and was very happy with its performance. The sound room was not set up for my demo but I was impressed with the sb12 plus in the showroom area, without any doubt it could fill most h/t rooms with ease:D . If you drop by I'm sure they will let you listen to any of the plus/2's if they are on display. Mason is a stand up guy and don't forget to ask for a svs t shirt;) .

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
they had the PC plus 20-39, PB10-NSD, PB12-NSD, SB12 on demo (listened to the first two) there was a PB12 Plus/2 in a box (hee - sombody's order)

the cylinder was gigantic (wouldnt the cylinder have more cubic volume than the box models?)

you're right, mason was very cool ... went and demo'd the 5.1 sbs system for my cousin too.

apparently, the cylinders are not available in 220v, would have to consider the boxes. (I want stereo L and R subs now)

forgot about the t-shirt thing :) maybe when my cousin buys a setup.

p.s.this might be the last time Im online for the next 16 days.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks billy, where can you get good priced receivers over here for my cousin. I was considering the yammy 659

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The best advice Mike if looking for new is either Yamaha or Pioneer from future shop or best buy. I don't have to tell you about inflated prices:D. The Yamaha your looking at runs for about $700.00 but its the htr 5960 model (similar to 659) and the htr 5940 is on sale for $399.99. Otherwise just price watch!!:) Heard the sbs-01 they are very nice for the price hooked up with a svs sub make for a killer system and that cylinder:eek:!! what a beast!!:)
PS: Enjoy the rest of your trip and let me know next time your in my neck of the woods!!

Last edited:
T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
The HSU is a much bigger sub than the PB-10, but is smaller than the PB-12. It may not be fair to compare a 10" and a 12" but they were right next to each other.
Was the STF3 a maximum extension version do you know?

tonay

tonay

Junior Audioholic
I've been watching the Yammie RX V659 on Ebay for a month now (waiting for the final architect bill) but you should be able to get one claimed: new, A stock, factory sealed for under $350 shipped.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis