well lit room -HELP

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone,

I am trying to place a front projector and screen in a moderately well lit room. I have plantation shutters which decreases the light considerably but it still gets through. The screen (fixed) will be directly infront of where the coach is (12 feet away). Main concern is the light.
I understand that the screen can make or break a home theater system so I am willing to spend more ($2000-3000) if picture quality is considerably improved. I have read about black diamond vs Vutec SS6 or Da-lite. I will be watching movies (action), may be blu-ray and play video games. As far as the projector I am willing to spend around 3000 to 4000 on it.:confused:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know anything about screens but I would get a decent screen and spend the rest on light control. No point in having a projector + screen in a room if you don't have total light control imo.

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
I agree with you, its phillip, but I am basicly in this is how it is situation. I am basicly using the office room for this, don't have a room to dedicate to a home theater and I already have speakers (magnapan) that I love in that office also a coach that is opposite a wide empty wall. so I thought to add a screen with a projector. I tried to read today in that room with the shutters closed and lights turned off - I had to strain - basicly I think it isn't ideal but with the right screen and projector it will be pretty good. Another screen that I came across is the firehawk G3. I also wanted to ask what does everyone think of the jvc HD250? A dealer I have worked with in the past recommended the optoma HD8600 with the Vutec silverstar but I am not really convinced that the cost of the projector is justified. I think I would rather use a better screen and spend less on the projector. The combo will cost me 8500+ but my comfort zone is closer to 6000. Would appreciate any input THANKS

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
WHICH front projector in a well lit room?

Sorry one more question, it seems from alot of the reviews on multiple forums that the jvc HD 250 is an excellent product and I like the price - my only concern is the brightness and is that more of a factor when it is in a room beige walls and windows with shutters that still leak some sunlight in? Or do I have to go with something with alot of brightness like BenQ W6000? or is the Sony VWPro1 is a better balance?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Take a look at lighting scenarios that BMXTRIX has done:
http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

From your desciption, it sounds like a JVC HD250 combined with a 100"-120" Carada BW screen would still provide a great picture.
After viewing the slides, I would stress to anyone designing a theater....
Do NOT place large can-lights infront of your screen. Of course they'll shine down like a spotlight and wash the screen out. That's litterally like shining a spotlight on the screen from 3' away.

If you must light the screen area please consider putting those lights on a seperate dimmer/switch. Also, smaller lights & more of them are excellent to use on the outside edges of the theater and a great way to light a theater. At full brightness they can lighht up a room very well and when dimmed they provide excellent atmosphere without getting in the way.

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
Thanks AVrat, I don't have any lights close to the screen, but istill am trying to decide with my windows with shutters and white walls what is the best screen:
Firehawk G3 vs. Vutec Silverstar 6 vs. Da-Lite HP 2.8

As far as projector I am between:
JVC HD250 vs BenQ W6000 vs. Sony VWPro1

Any avice would really be appreciate it.

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If the goal is for some daytime viewing with limited light control, then I strongly suggest that you go with the DNP Supernova screen, or perhaps the Black Diamond screen. Both screens are a fair step above anything else you have ever seen.

For those who haven't seen a DNP or BD screen then it is amazing what level difference these screens deliver in a lit environment, while still maintaining very good quality when the lights are off.

The JVC HD250 is great, but not appropriate for you. That is, the HD250 is a entry level top end projector which is designed for ideal rooms. When you don't have an ideal room you not only lose out on the quality of the projector, you actually lose out on the overall experience because the projector itself is designed for ideal conditions.

I would lean towards a few extra lumens and would probably pick one of the better reviewed models from this list...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=700&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=2500&br=7000&ll=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=pop&sz=15

I haven't done my homework on them, but the Vivitek D925HD and the BenQ SP890 are pretty interesting models.

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the advice BMXTRIX, I looked at some more reviews + link you suggested. I am now thinking about getting either:
1) Firehawk G3 screen with BenQ SP890 projector. One issue is that the reviewsof the BenQ SP890 tend to see it as a business projector and not really home theater.
2) Vutec silverstar 6 or Da-Lite HP 2.8 screen with the JVC HD250 projector. Either screen have high gain which makes up for the JVC having 1000 Lumens. This time the concern is that I've read conflicting reviews. ProjectorCentral recommends the silverstar for businesses or classrooms where the extra brightness is needed and they donot find it suitable for home theater. While multiple other reviews on other forums seem to love it at their HT. Personally my concern with it is loss of sharpness. My coach is exactly infront of where the screen will be. It will always be just me + wife watching so the small cone caused by the increased gain is not really a concerns. I might be laying down on the coach. Would the SilverStar be so limited that the picture would be compromised just by me laying down on a coach that is directly infront of it?

Sorry for the lengthy post - I just tend to ramble when I am thinking and I am trying to get the best that I can get and my city has no showrooms for any of this so the reviews online and this post and your advice is all that I am basing my decision on.

Thanks again
Thanks again

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
High gain does not help in a high brightness room. It only helps in a dark room with an underpowered projector.

The issue is the loss of black level and shadow detail, not of brightness. You need some way to regain the black levels, and this is only going to happen with a truly special screen.

The Firehawk is not what I would be looking at either. It really would be knocked down to the DNP Supernova or the Black Diamond screens only as my top recommendations for your described setup. I've seen the Firehawk, and it just has looked like almost any other grey screen I've seen. It is not in the same league as the DNP or BD screens.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
the HP 2.8 (not made any more ifaik), so 2.4 it would be. is not going to help you, in my experience. any light in my room starts to wash out the image. and i have a pretty bright pj, so more experienced guys say.

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
If I were to paint the walls to get better light control 1)do they have to be black or can it be some other color? does it have to be a dark color? i am just trying to have something that will achieve better light control but still be aesthetically pleasing since this is not a dedicated Home theater room.

I am now also considering the JVC RS40 with the silverstar screen. Lens will be 12.5 feet away from the screen. I will be sitting directly infront of the screen about 13 feet away. 2)How big should the screen be - is 106" diagonal be too big for this set up? At the same time I would hope to make use of the 3D feature.

My other option is basically a temporary thing until I can have a more permanent dedicated room in a few years. So in the mean time I would use a less expensive projector:3) JVC HD250 for the better black levels vs. sony VWPro1 for the increased Lumens? 4)Does the additional lumens of the sony translate into a brighter picture in reality as compared to the HD250? I will be watching ONLY movies and video games - NO TV and absolutely no sports.

Thanks again - I am just very frustrated - I am trying to have the best of both worlds. your time and advice is really appreciated.

M

musta9

Junior Audioholic
All my walls are kind of textured off white semi-gloss and the shutters are bright white high gloss. I am sure this is in no way ideal. So I am planning on painting the room and shutters and probably get curtains to cover the shutters. Which walls need to be the darkest? I am guessing the wall with the screen on it. How about the opposite wall with the projector? How about the ceiling? I was thinking on having to colors - dark brown and caramel- I am trying on deciding where can I get away with using the lighter shade?

Thanks for any advice.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
With dark walls you are combatting reflected light coming off the screen mostly along with light coming through the windows. The screen wall is actually not that important in a dark room, but becomes more important with ambient light. Still, most important is the floor, ceiling, and walls about 10-15 feet in front of the screen.

Darker and flatter paints are the key to making it work best. But, ambient light control, especially light control near the screen is what will make the image look best. A set of good curtains on all the windows is great, but you may have great results if you just close the curtain which is closest to the screen and be very happy with the image. Not as good as when all the curtains are closed, but more more welcoming of a space.

I'm not sure why you are looking at the silverstar screen. As already said, several times, you don't want a huge gain factor on the screen, but a smooth image.

For your reading: http://www.projectorcentral.com/vutec_screens.htm

106" diagonal is appropriate size for about a 10-13' viewing distance.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
BenQ W1070 1080p 3D Home Video Projector

Benq W1070 is made to be a living room home theater projector. It has great lumen output. Use this with a higher gain screen (not really high, but probably want 1.3+) and you will definitely have no issues using it during the day. Projector central has a great calculator that shows you everything from throw distance to light output. It tells you what you need based on things like screen size, throw distance, etc... It uses MFG numbers, but in the case of the W1070 it actually exceeded its own MFG rating for output in testing (highly unusual).

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis