Well I finally bought a SUB!!!

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Well the part came last Sat and here it didn't work with Dig. Sat. so i wasted $15. I spend several hours reading info on the web from various sites and posts on other forums as well as here and was convinced it was a combination of ground loop via my ac line with the rest of my av equip and the sat receiver. My reasoning stems from the following:

When my sub was turned on and a signal was sent from the receiver it would begin to hum. Once it began to hum I could disconnect the power from my sat receiver or disconnect the sat line in to the receiver and the hum would lesson but not disappear....so it appeared that I needed to isolate the ground from the sat via a pair of 75-300ohm baluns or some matching transformers with a cable coupler that would eliminate the 60hz freq in the line and then additionally add a ground loop isolator to plug my three-pronged ac plug into to further lessen the hum and hopefully eliminate it. That was my hope and intention.

Well this evening I decided to move the sub to the front of the room and connect it to the receiver with a different cable just to be sure it wasn't the 9 meter Ixos Sub cable I was using. I used a 6 ft Acoustic Research video cable and the hum is gone! Competely gone! I even ran a grounded extension cord to the outlet across the room where I would like to place the sub and it works fine there as well...no hum! So it appears a quality cable does make a difference. I always thought of Ixos as being a solid product....could it just be the length of the cable? I think it does have a role to play but the Acoustic Research cable is clearly more stiff and thick/well shielded.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis