N

not_me

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>if i have a loudspeaker of 88-90 dB sensitivity and power handling of about &nbsp;130W to 150W what power should my reciver have per channel to get the best out of the loudspeakers? (5.1 configuration)

is there some sort o a rule/formula to help me decide with other speaker sensitivitys and power handlings ?

Thanks! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Take a look at this wonderful SPL calculator and all your queries would be answered.</font>

N

not_me

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Yamaha but i already tried it but i initialy found it strange that a loudspeaker with a sensitivity of 85,bookshelf model,amplified with 100W has a loudness of 100 dB (at 8 feet) while a 5 speaker sistem with a sensitivity of 95 dB amplified with 100W (MAJOR diference) has loudness increase of only 17 dB.
is that to be expected?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>not_me,

To have a percieved loudness increase watts have to double and therefore in a typical 5.1 system, only two channels is active most of the times unless you are doing the 5 channel stereo mode and even then, it is only 100 watts. You need 200 watts to hear the loudness difference.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis