J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
Looking at some Denon receivers. The x6200w has 140 watt per channel, the x4200w has 125 wpc... My front speakers they are the klipsch KLF10 say 150, rears 110, center 100.. Are these receivers too much for the speakers? I could see the x4200 to be ok but the 140wpc is that too much?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You should be fine with either. The times you'll ever come close to the maximum, power the receivers can put out will be rare indeed, and even then, only for very short bursts.

But, common sense must apply. If something sounds bad, turn it down immediately.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those watts are maximum what your speakers can handle and what receiver can out put as maximum power. And like mark said, it is really rare you would be even close to maximum, unless your room is huge and you try to fill it with sound. That receiver will be just fine, just don't crank it all the way up. And if you start to hear anything that does not belong there turn volume down immediately. You don't need to "match" those wattages.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Like mentioned common sense is the rule. I run 100w speakers with a 300wpc amp and have no issues. Just dont let your drunk friend control the volme...;)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Loudspeaker power ratings are probably the most useless specifications in the entire audio world. They should be completely ignored.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Those Klipsch speakers have a 98 dB efficiency rating, which is about 10 dB greater than the average speaker from other brands. So you’ll never use more than maybe 50 watts of your receiver’s output, if that, to get ear-bleeding levels out of them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis