Wattage problems with M22ti's...

Y

yousef

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I'm really new to all of this. &nbsp;I am buying the M22ti's from Axiom and am confused about the wattage. &nbsp;The specs on axiom's site say that they can handle 200 watts. &nbsp;I've been reading faq's saying that if my receiver's power doesn't match by speaker's then the speaker might become damaged. &nbsp;So I guess the question is do I need to buy a sophisticated amp/pre-amp combo or expensive receiver, or can I buy a &quot;generic&quot; receiver. &nbsp;I want to buy the Denon DRA-685. &nbsp;Would this receiver damage the speakers in any way? &nbsp;I know very little and the guides on this site are too technical for me. &nbsp;Some advice as to what receiver I should buy ($400 limit) would be GREATLY appreciated.</font>

<font color='#000080'>My understanding has always been that damage only comes from OVERdriving an underpowered amplifier to a speaker. This causes distorted audio (clipped signals resulting in extended incursions and excursions) to be played through the speakers which could damage them over time.

According to Axiom's specs, the M22ti's can function off a minimum of 10 Watts up to a maximum of 200 Watts.

If you do not end up blaring distorted audio through the M122ti's at full volume, you should not damage them at all. I will leave it up to others to recommend a receiver in your price range.

In any case, you certainly do not need to purchase a 200 watt/channel receiver for the M22ti's to function correctly.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Yousef;

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
I've been reading faq's saying that if my receiver's power doesn't match by speaker's then the speaker might become damaged.
</td></tr></table>

I am not sure where you have been reading these FAQ's from but they are absolutely wrong. &nbsp;Clint's advice is good.
What happens when you reach the limits of your power amps power supply or output devices, is the power amp begins to clip and thus essentially sends a DC signal to the speaker, which overtime can damage the speaker much like Clint was talking about.
It is actually better in most cases to choose a more powerful amplifier to ensure sufficient headroom. &nbsp;Any of the receivers you mentioned will work fine with the Axiom Audio speakers. &nbsp;They are an easy, high efficient load to drive for just about all $400 and up receivers. &nbsp;Denon makes very good receivers, and should be at the top of your shopping list.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi
I think the problem is only with solid state amplification. I've driven M22tis with a 5 watt per channel triode tube amp without any difficulty. Sounds wonderful. These are fairly efficient speakers with great imaging and large soundstage. They sound wonderful when driven by a sweet low power single end tube amp. JMO.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I live near where Axiom speakers are produced and have auditioned them a few times at a local store called the audioshop. www.audioshop.on.ca. They are knowledgable and can answer any questions you have regarding these speakers and will probably give you a good deal.
An amp that I'd recommend you check out is the new Pioneer VSX-D811s. I demo'd it a few times at a store with the Paradigm speakers I use in my own system and I thought it was really impressive. There is a review in October's What?  Hi-Fi (an awesome audio magazine from the UK). It has great specs, and it was $500 CDN so it should be well under $400 US. Also I think it could give the Panasonic unit in the budget home theatre system seen here a good run for it's money.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis