watching video at 72Hz

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Does anyone know if they are currently watching video at 72Hz instead of 60 Hz? I am asking becuase it seems that this is source of the video effect I have been after. It creates jitter free movement and almost eliminates stress on a sub-conscious level while watching. How do you know if your TV is able to play video at that frequency? Can a fixed pixel display like a plasma do it?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure about plasma, but I know LCDs don't have a refresh rate. That setting applies to CRT systems. As a rule of thumb with computer monitors, the higher you can set your refresh the better. It reduces eye strain. Your eyes can see 60Hz and under.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I am going to be using an external scaller that can send a frequency out at 72 Hz. my manual says that via PC input it can display some of the following:

1,025x768 @85 -----Horizontal Frequencey 68.68Hz---verticle frequence at 85Hz. Is that good? There are 21 different signals to choose from via PC input and since I am getting a scaler that can customize the output I am trying to decide which is best.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think your horizontal freqency is in kHz. However, yes this is fine. The higher your refresh rate is, the easier on your eyes it will be (assuming that the display you're using can handle it). 85Hz is dandy. Assuming your video display can handle that resolution, then it should be fine.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
If it says it can accept it as an input doesnt that mean it can handle it?

What does film-source mean? "24 Hz film-source material using a 3:2 pulldown pattern can be output with 2:2 pulldown at 48 Hz or 3:3 pulldown at 72 Hz."

W

W9TR

Audiophyte
I am currently watching at 72 Hz (71.92) using an HTPC and a CRT projector.

If you have an LCD or DLP projector, the panel will be internally driven at a fixed rate, usually 60 Hz, and the projector's internal scaler will do the conversion.

If you are using an external scaler, you should set it up to drive your projetor at its native resolution and frame rate.

Regardless of display type, the real advantage to 72Hz is the elimination of judder and the advantage of decoding 24fps DVD material to 3:3 instead of 2:3 pulldown. I know Pioneer has some models available that do 3:3. Everything should be done that way...

72Hz/3 = 24 fps

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
this is why people love LCD displays so much, and despite hteir weaknesses, to me are the perferable technology.

....well plasma is a bit sweeter, but I can't afford them, and I'm fresh out of ski masks :(

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
mustang_steve said:
this is why people love LCD displays so much, and despite hteir weaknesses, to me are the perferable technology.

....well plasma is a bit sweeter, but I can't afford them, and I'm fresh out of ski masks :(
Mustange steve...i think that infact the CRT is better when it comes to this. While my Plasma says it can accept 72hz or even 85hz the judder seems to get worse at those levels, which leads me to believe that it is accepting the higher rater, but then converting it back to 60.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Vancouver, I think you are starting to get it. The INPUT is not what matters, it is the output that the screen actually produces that should be your primary concern. If your display outputs exactly 1024x768 @ 60hz, then that is exactly what you should feed it with your DVDO.

CRT is still the cats nipples as far as display devices go and other technologies are still playing catch up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis