watching movies on Wide screen TV's

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I thought that when I got my 16:9 widescreen TV that widescreen DVD's would totally fill the screen and there wouldnt be black bars on the top and bottom anymore. Can someone please explain to me why some movies fill the screen and some still have the black bars even on a widescreen tv?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Or without going elsewhere: Your TV is 16:9 - which is a 1.78 to 1 ratio. Many movies are transferred to DVD at a 1.78:1 ratio. But, MOST movies are actually wider than 1.78:1. Quite often, 2.35:1 and that is the way that they are put onto DVD. So, while you will find some DVDs that do completely fill your screen top to bottom. Most will still be somewhat letterboxed to preserver the original aspect ratio of the film as it was shot.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Most high budget films are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. While the image might not fill the screen completely on a 16:9 set, it is certainly better than displaying a widescreen image on a 4:3 TV, where you will lose even more of your display. The only time I've felt like my 16:9 TV was inadequate was while watching Ben-Hur. It was filmed using MGM Camera 65, which displays at a whopping 2.94:1. This movie will give you some serious lletterboxing.

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
1.85:1 Movies will fill the whole screen on the Panasonic Plasmas due to overscan.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Oh - Vancouver - If you have a problem with the image appearing a little small... Then it is time to look at front projectors. You can add a 10 foot front projection system to your current setup for about $2,000.00 and be very happy with the results!

We use both a plasma and a front projector (same wall) and pick and choose when to use which device.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis