WANTED A pair of BMR speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You might as well get the EX kit now....that was a incredible deal.
I was so impressed with the S2s I skipped the EX kit and went straight for the ribbon towers! I'm currently using 1 of the S2s for a center right now, until I scheme up a way to get the Horizon center channel.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Ok...yes...that would be a good plan...the STC is IMO the most dynamic speaker within the Sierra line...especially the RAAL version...I've had both for what its worth.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Not specified, but I get the feeling that the set of 3 is 2K... would love to know... but that would make sense and be on par for what they were actually selling for (before Dennis raised his prices slightly prior to officially retiring).
I doubt it, the posting specifically says that a new project like this would be $2395, which is Salk's going rate for a pair of BMR's.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I doubt it, the posting specifically says that a new project like this would be $2395, which is Salk's going rate for a pair of BMR's.
Right?

but at the same time it seems bizarre he’d be selling a used pair at a higher cost then the original owner would have paid. Lol one sure way to find out, is ask

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Right?

but at the same time it seems bizarre he’d be selling a used pair at a higher cost then the original owner would have paid. Lol one sure way to find out, is ask
Ha. Already sent one. ;)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Right?

To be honest I would be selling them at that price too. Yes, it's more than they cost new originally, but it's still less than they cost new now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Based on some rough communication, it seems the L/R may well be the last version (before retiring) of Dennis' BMR in the Chinese Piano Black Cabinet. The photo Jim sent me showed a Piano Black Rectangular box.
I am not familiar enough with the PE Cabinets which Dennis used prior to the later Chinese Cabinets to know for certain if they had a rectangular version of their box.

The Center BMR, Jim says, is one of the old PE Cabinets with Curved Sides and the tweeter turned 90º. It is also Piano Black.

He did not give me clarification on the cost breakdown (L/R pair or all three) other than a speculative cost for what the owner may sell the center for.

In our communication, the center was specified to have scratches on the side(s?) of the cabinet. No damages to the L/R were mentioned.

As I am not interested in pursuing any these, I am not going to pester Jim further for clarification.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
To be honest I would be selling them at that price too. Yes, it's more than they cost new originally, but it's still less than they cost new now.
... and for many people, the ability to have them shipped out today is a huge factor ... when there is generally a month plus wait for any Salk Speakers!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
... and for many people, the ability to have them shipped out today is a huge factor ... when there is generally a month plus wait for any Salk Speakers!
A month is very generous . I'd just pay to have the cabinets assembled and shipped, crossovers assembled and just install the drivers. Currently he is about a month behind on the cabinets at speaker hardware.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Got word from Jim. Price is for the pair and seems to be what the owner is asking for.

Man. I really want a pair of these some day. Would like a dyed veneer though (one of those black dyed curly cherry).

I think for now I’ll stick with going the LS50w through A4less at $1500 if I end up getting anything in the near future.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got word from Jim. Price is for the pair and seems to be what the owner is asking for.

Man. I really want a pair of these some day. Would like a dyed veneer though (one of those black dyed curly cherry).

I think for now I’ll stick with going the LS50w through A4less at $1500 if I end up getting anything in the near future.
Glad you got more info than I did on the pricing. ;)
This feels like a trade up, and Jim is facilitating the sale of the speakers to help this guy into a new set of Salks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's a hell of a deal. If those were available a few months ago...
So, I relieved my local-ish acquaintance of one of those 3 BMRs. :)
He still has a pair available. These are the same make and finish as the speaker Erin reviewed courtesy of our good friend @KEW .

From my last communication with Jim, the 3 he has are still available.

Going back to the AVS thread and those BMRs, I know OP was updated to reflect the sale to me and his asking price for the remaining pair ($1400+shipping, or local pick up).

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
So funny I tried creating a profile on AVS and it wouldn’t let me communicate with the seller. I gave up within 5 minutes.
Congrats @ryanosaur does that mean you now have a set of 3 BMRs along with your Phil3s? Or are u using the BMR as a center with the 3s? Can’t recall if u already had a pair of BMRs

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So funny I tried creating a profile on AVS and it wouldn’t let me communicate with the seller. I gave up within 5 minutes.
Congrats @ryanosaur does that mean you now have a set of 3 BMRs along with your Phil3s? Or are u using the BMR as a center with the 3s? Can’t recall if u already had a pair of BMRs
I now have a total of 4. 3 matching in the Rectangular Piano Black cabinets, and now this one in the old Dayton/PE 1cu.ft. cabinet (cherry finish).
Of my original 3, 1 is the center, and 2 are on Surround duty.

I am going to experiment with a Rear Center in my small room, and try the high wall-mounted Mini-Phils as Rear Heights when I can install a pair or Front Heights to match. At the point I can expand to a .6 Atmos option, I will add Top Front or Top Middle if given the option.
(I do have, and enjoy, several DTS 5.1 Discs that use Rear Center instead of Front Center. Currently, that signal is parsed to the Rear Surrounds. This is a grand experiment. I will also be able to rebuild one of these to match the other if I so choose. Or find another single somewhere down the road...)
:cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Did you get the previously owned ones from Jim Salk? Did you find your Chicken Dinner (WinnerWinner) elsewhere?
C'mon, man, tell us!!! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis