Want to build a DIYD Home Theater Speaker Kit

S

scottyb70

Audioholic Intern
I am thinking of replacing my Atlantic Technology 250.1 Home theater speakers was looking into the Madisound's ZA5.3 MTM and ZA 5.3C. I don't want a floor standing speaker. My room is 17 x 12', Denon AV4311CI, Atlantic Technology 250.1 with SVS STA400D. I will eventually get the Yamaha RX a8a. There isn't too many reviews and I would like to know if these would be better. I am looking at not spending no more that 2000.00. I have all the tools to build the cabinets and have experience in cabinet building.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$2k including cabinet materials I presume? I have not heard that Zaph kit, but a friend has built a small one from them and it sounded good.

Does cabinet size matter? Philharmonic offers a BMR kit that is $1k/pr, you build your own cabinets. That would increase the budget, but they're amazing speakers. They are pretty large and there is no matching center though, but Dennis and/or Salk can probably help out there.

S

scottyb70

Audioholic Intern
Yea, I was looking at the Philharmonic , but they don't have a matching center channel. I have the salk song towers hooked up to my tube amp and they are amazing, but I was looking for something different? I feel the Philharmonics might be too close to the sound of my Salks? I wanted something on stands because I am limited on distance away from the sides of the tv.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
You could customize the motorboard on the center (vertically oriented tweet and mid) since you're building your own cabs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The BMRs might sound close to the Songs. Dennis recommended the Song RT I think for me for a matching center (Phils, not BMRs for now), though I think one of the other ones like the SS 8C would pair with the BMRs.

If you have the Songs with the soft dome, the RAAL tweeter is worth it IMO. I also have the older Phil CA-OW1 and there's still a noticeable difference with the RAAL.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yea, I was looking at the Philharmonic , but they don't have a matching center channel. I have the salk song towers hooked up to my tube amp and they are amazing, but I was looking for something different? I feel the Philharmonics might be too close to the sound of my Salks? I wanted something on stands because I am limited on distance away from the sides of the tv.
For Center BMR, you just rotate the tweeter 90º. Works very well. This is how Dennis sells them, if you ask, when buying new.
Meniscus sells single BMR Kits for just that reason.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
I was looking for something different?
Different than the Salks? I mean, sure, you're replacing the Atlantic Technology speakers, but your Salks are a rather high metric to judge other speakers by. They do pretty much everything right. Perhaps for ht you might want something more bangin', but that most likely involves compromises in other areas, things you will notice. A trio of BMRs in your ht would be as neutral as what you're used to.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am thinking of replacing my Atlantic Technology 250.1 Home theater speakers was looking into the Madisound's ZA5.3 MTM and ZA 5.3C. I don't want a floor standing speaker.
I've never heard speakers designed by Zaph, but I've often read good things posted about them. His 5½" aluminum mid-woofers certainly look good on paper. I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't build them. Please take some photos and tell us about them.

You'll also be able to directly compare them to your SongTowers. I know I'd be interested in what you think.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Zaph driver is pretty solid. The mini Phils I have are a variation of the smaller Zaph 2-way design, but using the Raal up top. The Zaph plays high enough for a good cross.
Been a while since I had them down to listen to them as mains, but they impressed me when I plugged them in that way upon first receiving them.
Perhaps the biggest point to note with that small a driver is that bass will be somewhat wanting. If paired with a larger woofer in a 3-way design or a good Sub, I think the Zaph is a great driver, but by 55 Hz, it is pretty well done in the sealed cabinet. I think ported you can tease it into the mid-upper 40s.
I have 1 pair of Mini Phils, and 2-more pair of raw Zaph Mids waiting for a design. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis