Want/Have DirecTV HDTV? READ THIS

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Because DirectV will be changing the way that it processes HDTV on its system (converting from a MPEG-2 to a MPEG-4 system), current HDTV receivers will become obsolete because of their inability to tune future DirecTV HD channels. So if you are in the market for one of these it might be a good time to sit back and wait for the newer receivers and newer HD programming to become available first before jumping in. DirecTV will be lauching 4 new satellites over the next two years in order to offer HDTV local channels in the 12 largest markets. The first satellite launch is scheduled for this summer.

If you just recently bought and HDTV receiver for DirectTV you may want to look into unloading it or returning it ASAP. Roughly 500,000 who already own such a system are going to be forced to upgrade both their dish and receivers in order to get all of the MPEG-4 programming. Incentives could be offered for equiptment upgrades, but likely that will involve long term service extensions.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
In the three years I've had HDTV, I've subscribed to cable, not because it's superior, but because you rent the hardware instead of purchasing it. I am now on my third version of HD cable box. While I've checked out Direct TV, Dish and Voom, I've always resisted, due to the need to purchase the equipment.

M

MBauer

Audioholic
Agreed

I agree with Goodman. I now rent my equipment rather than buying it. I am currently a DirecTv subscriber (cable and OTA too) with a highly modified TIVO, etc. I just went to Comcast because 1., it has much more HD content, 2., a DVR I rent, so if it becomes obsolete it is their obsolete box. 3., the price of the HDTV DVR at DirecTv was outrageous.

I have been pleasantly surprised that the picture quality has improved on cable and is now the equal of the satellite (IMHO) in SD, and there is much more HD content available from Cable

plhart

Audioholic
The DISH (Echostar) satellite press conference was the first I attended at CES. My review of the DISH press conference is here>>

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESmisc/DISHNetworkHDservice.php

In his portion of the conference CEO Charlie Ergan had this to say (paraphased) about the changeover from MPEG 2 boxes to MPEG 4 boxes for their current HDTV subscribers>>

• The download of movies or TV shows available will of course offer HD content. This can be done now with customers already signed up for HD services who have current MPEG 2 boxes. When available in six months though, current customers will probably be offered a direct swap-out of their MPEG 2 boxes for the newer MPEG 4 units which are more bit-efficient and have performance more conducive to HD playback.

Read the entire review to get the gist of the way at least one of the satellite networks is thinking about their current customers. Sorry I wasn't able to attend Direct TV's conference also but I would say, given the fact that there are only two basic competitors in this arena, fighting to hold onto their customer base while grabbing new clients from cable, that tactics regarding upgrades such as discussed here are likely to be quite similar.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
hopjohn said:
Because DirectV will be changing the way that it processes HDTV on its system (converting from a MPEG-2 to a MPEG-4 system), current HDTV receivers will become obsolete because of their inability to tune future DirecTV HD channels. So if you are in the market for one of these it might be a good time to sit back and wait for the newer receivers and newer HD programming to become available first before jumping in. DirecTV will be lauching 4 new satellites over the next two years in order to offer HDTV local channels in the 12 largest markets. The first satellite launch is scheduled for this summer.

If you just recently bought and HDTV receiver for DirectTV you may want to look into unloading it or returning it ASAP. Roughly 500,000 who already own such a system are going to be forced to upgrade both their dish and receivers in order to get all of the MPEG-4 programming. Incentives could be offered for equiptment upgrades, but likely that will involve long term service extensions.
In my opinion this post is alarmist and unfounded. DirecTV has never left their customers hanging and it won't happen this time either. You think they are going to lose their best customers over new equipment? Not hardly. I'm very concerned about this very subject and after a lot of reserach at www.tivocommunity.com and other places including all the financial publications I just pulled the trigger on an HD TiVo. The equipment will not become obsolete for at least a couple of years. The initial push for both Dish and DirecTV will be to broadcast local HD channels. If you are already getting them OTA there will be no hurry to switch over. The cost of replacing new equipment was calculated into their business plan a long time ago. I'm much more concerned about losing TiVo and hope Mr. Murdoch will in the end buy them. :) BTW, this same issue with equipment applies equally to Dish customers. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis